Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:09:50 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hurry Folks! The Price Will Go Up If It Runs!!!
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

I agree.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave

www.stir-plate.com

www.towercooler.com

www.kegkits.com

From: J Stewart [mailto:fonman4277@comcast.net] Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:01 PM To: Tom Hargrave Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Hurry Folks! The Price Will Go Up If It Runs!!!

I agree Tom, in fact a few years ago I bought a 13' Scamp for $500.00 and cleaned it up and flipped it on Ebay for $2275.00. What I object to is this seller implying that because a Vanagon restored by Go Westy! can sell for 30K that this one is worth $3,500.00. Any goober dumb enough to drop $3,500.00 on this van is more than likely not going to have the skills or $$$ to ever make it equal to a Go Westy! van. I posted another link to a Craigslist ad here a few weeks back from a seller asking $5,000.00 for a passenger model Vanagon that didn't even have wheel covers/hub caps. She eventually got down to $2,000.00 and I don't think she ever sold it even at that.

Jeff Stewart

_____

I used to go to auctions with my Dad - he used to buy and sell used cars. More than once he sold a $500 - $1000 car for far more than he paid for it, but more than once he also took a loss on a car he thought would do good. In the long run he made money but if he had decided to limit his selling price to some percentage instead of what the used car market supported he would have lost money. Why? Because he had to cover the ones he lost money on with the ones he made money on and then generate a profit to stay in business.

My point is - the selling price of anything has nothing to do with what you paid for the item. And if he paid only $500 for a van that's honestly worth over 3K then good for him - he won with this one. But he hasn't sold it yet....

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:18 PM To: Tom Hargrave; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Re: Hurry Folks! The Price Will Go Up If It Runs!!!

yes and no. It's why I advise people to always ask how long the seller has had the van etc.. and ...sure .. the seller is free to ask and demand anything he wants. no real harm there.. he may not get a sale though.

if someone wanted this van.. the way to approach it with the selller might be.. "ok..so at 3,500 you stand to make near 3K. and it's not selling .. how about if you just be happy with only making 2K on it .. and you can be free of it, and I can have a new project van.'

Or something in that vein .. if bought at auction on speculation .. it's likely 'just about money' to the seller.. and nothing about the vanagon huge family .. vanagonuts helping each other out etc.

wheeler-dealers .. not into them very much., I'm into looking for a win-win for both parties.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Hargrave" <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:58 AM Subject: Re: Hurry Folks! The Price Will Go Up If It Runs!!!

All depends on what's there and what shape it's in. And what he paid for the van doesn't matter.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

Just a sensible investor trying to septuple his original investment. Nothing wrong with that if he can actually sell it for that. Caveat emptor, y'know, and all those buyers of CDO's would certainly comprehend his motivation and sympathize with the seller's position.

I can't wait to see what happens when the weather warms and he actually has to begin working on the thing. "Dear List, I never bothered to replace those 30-year-old fuel lines and all of a sudden..."

Stephen