Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:28:44 -0800
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Automatic transmissions? (friday little vanagon
              content)
Comments: To: "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

While I spend most of my days 'lurking' here. I'll add my 2 cents worth (m2cw): Re sophistication of 'new' auto trannys. Try the new VW Double Clutch Tranny:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission You need to scroll down a bit to get to the VW content.  These new Dual Clutch trannys up-shift in 3/10 of a second, and down-shift in about 7/10 of a second (takes longer as the computer revs the engine to match the RPMs on both sides of the tranny).  If you are visually oriented try: http://www.dctfacts.com/information/dual-clutch-animation.aspx    or   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox or re the T5(.5) try:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Transporter_%28T5%29 I have never driven one of these, but I have heard them take off from a red light, and I can't shift that fast, certainly not in a syncro westy.  Add to that a limited slip diff and lockable rear trannys and these 'SHOULD' be about as good as our beloved T3 syncros IMHO.   There is NO clutch peddle, but one can work the gear lever to activate the gears.  If one of you guys would buy my CDN Dehler Syncro 16", I could buy one of these new T5.5s :-) Changing topic a bit:  One other item I've hear re auto trannys, is that Cell/Mobile phones have sold more Auto trannys than anything else!  :-)  If we had 4 arms/hands, we could shift and talk & dial all at the same time!  :-)     As I said:  m2cw.  malcolm >________________________________ > From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> > > > >  >Curiously, I have noticed that many of the 4wd vehicles I have seen >around the southern California desert Off Road areas of the desert this >winter are automatic transmission rigs. >.................................................................. >I'm not 'dissin' anyone's choice of transmissions or vehicles...I am >curious...what say you who are familiar with this, on a Friday.? >Don Hanson > >