Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:15:36 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: solar charger
Comments: To: "Chris S." <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

I suspect you are using it to float the battery & not keep running lights, inverter, etc powered?

We lost power here in North Alabama when the tornados came through last year and the local O'Riellys was selling about the same size solar panel along with a car battery and 300 watt inverter to run small stuff in people's houses.

I was in there looking for a deep cycle battery that I used to keep my freezer frozen and got in a discussion with the local "expert" peddling these setups. He was claiming that the solar cell would keep the battery charged and would run anything the 300 watt inverter would support. When I started asking "all the wrong" questions about watts, loading, solar cell output, etc., he left about 10 potential customers standing around & wandered into the back and did not come out until I left with the battery I bought from them.

And BTW, I ran the Jeep at 2K RPM 30 minutes twice a day to top off the battery then I ran the freezer through a 3000 watt inverter the last 15 minutes to keep everything frozen. The freezer drew 5 amps and nothing inside thawed.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

The infamous and loved Harbor Freight sells different types of solar panels. I bought a 12" x 18" (inches not feet, scrutineers) and hooked it up via a cig lighter plug.

Chris.

Wysłane z iPhone'a