Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:21:55 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was Ford Galaxy Friday, now Technology Comparison
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

Count me in that group. In the mid 80's I bought an '83 Chevy van with the 6.2 diesel and built it into a camper. It would get an honest 33 mpg on the highway, amazing to me at the time for such a big van. It had a 35 gallon fuel tank and I could drive from N. Virginia to S Carolina and back without stopping for fuel. The day the injection pump died I nearly cried when a saw the bill! I paid it and sold the van and went back to gas engined vans. Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > Replacement costs? If the diesel engine goes south what would the > replacement costs be vs a gasoline engine? Are parts of the diesel > really expensive? > I've "heard" diesels are expensive, I've known people with 'other' > diesel engines who have been really really unhappy when something > like an injection pump went out. I've been loosely following this as > I am interested in better performance & better mileage too. > Rob > becida@comcast.net > At 1/22/2012 08:17 PM, Travis Newhouse wrote: > > > IMHO, most people are better off with a more modern gas engine > > vs. diesels strictly from a general drivability & economic point of > > view. Other factors come into play why people go to oil burners > > though.;-) > > > >Can you elaborate on why you think gas engine is better for general > >drivability and economic point of view. I'm one of the > >"fence-sitters" someone mentioned who has been considering a TDI > >conversion for a Westy. I thought the roughly 15% price difference in > >diesel fuel (that I see locally) would be outweighed by the nearly > >50% > >improvement in MPG. I agree that the TDI can cost more, but I've seen > >prices for 1.8T that seem similar - to compare to a modern gas > >engine. > > > >As for drivability, I cannot comment, and I certainly have questions > >about what it is like. I've never owned a diesel, nor driven one > >myself. I have to imagine the TDI had to be somewhat driver-friendly > >to go into Beetles, Jettas, and Passats. But, I would be happy to > >hear more about your comment on general drivability. > > > >Thanks, > >Travis