Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:23:35 -0800
From:         John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear brakes frustration

For those who persist with a Mity-Vac, you can eliminate a bit of that issue by putting a dab of fluid compatible cylinder grease around the bleeder (or any grease I guess if you don't care as hopefully it isn't going to work back into the system, but it could as you are using vacuum such that it is.)  Still like I said, I don't care for them, 14.7 psi max just isn't anywhere near what you can achieve 2 person bleeding or compared to even my hand pump pressure bleeder.  I remember an article in then "VW & Porsche" convinced me to buy a Mity-Vac in about 1988, which I ordered from Automotion? (the Porsche guys) as I couldn't find one local then.  Cost me like $45.  I was livid when Walmart had genuine Mity-Vacs for $16 a few years later. Anyway for 1 person bleeding in my mind this is the shit: http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Bleeder-Adapters-European/dp/B0002KM5L0 Though I note, this isn't a great price, and it is better to search one out with the multiple adapters, though I presume this is the one that will do you for most 80s-90s VWs.  I have this one (also overpayed for from GPR I think in the pre-internet world) and it works great but  they sell one with several common adapters for not a lot more. http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Bleeder-Pro-Adapters-virtually/dp/B0002KM5MO/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1328044482&sr=1-6 I have cobbled together adapters over the years for other stuff as they want pretty much want what a full kit with bleeder costs for just the adapter set, so buy wisely.  Works like stink though for 1 man bleeding.  And again I think I've seen the kit with multiple adapters in the $70 range before.  But good ole 2 person bleeding works just fine and doesn't take a rocket scientist for your second person, every SO I've had has been capable if they could be convinced.  Have all 4 wheels off up on jack stands and all bleeders broken free and just snugged so you aren't shitting around and it only takes 5-10 minutes.  Hell most of my SOs have done a better job pouring fluid in the Vanagon resevoir without a mess leaking all down onto the carpet like if I did it. John ________________________________ From: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM for bleeding brakes. And depending on how much play there is between bleeder screw threads and cylinder housing, and/or how far bleeder screw backed out, a vacuum bleeder will tend to pull air through at bleeder screw threads.