Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Feb 2012 20:08:11 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust studs/bolts

I'll second what Craig said, all of it. It seem to me that it becomes mathematically impossible to put a header on if you use studs at both ends. Unless you're willing to stretch it more than I would.

Larry A.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Craig Cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote: > Studs on the left and bolts on the right as long as your viewing it straight.  Meaning in the front header studs go on the pass side, rear pipe studs go on the drivers side. > Use plenty of anti seize and tighten everything up at the same time! > I only use stainless nuts and washers on the studs, and stainless bolts and washers on the bolt holes. > Those exhaust kits ship with total crap. The copper plated nuts they've sent me had the thinnest plating I've ever seen and bare steel was exposed just in installation. Those kits likely work well in much of the country but here in the aggressive salt belt, they don't cut it in my mind. > I just did this job. Take your time and use a torch to heat everything up. > > > -Craig > > On Feb 4, 2012, at 2:48 PM, Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> I've got a bit of confusion about the exhaust studs. >> >> I'm replacing the exhaust pipes on my '89 2.1L Westy, and have removed the entire exhaust system. The pipes were attached to the exhaust ports via 2 studs at each port. I removed all 8 studs, to find they were a bit mismatched: 2 x 40mm, 1 x 38mm, 1 x 36mm, 4 x 31mm. >> >> I purchased a "hardware kit" which includes 4 x  30mm bolts and 4 x 38mm studs, and I guess it makes sense to use the bolts to replace the upper studs at each port and the new studs to replace the old lower studs. Fine. >> >> I double check Bentley. At 15.17 only studs are shown on the for both the upper and lower connections at the exhaust ports. At 26.9, it shows bolts and studs being used to connect the exhaust, but only on the upper connections of the front right and rear left exhaust ports. On the front left and rear right exhaust ports the diagram seems to indicate that studs should be used. >> >> Hm. I check the list archives and it seems people have used all bolts, all studs, and combinations to no reported ill effect. >> >> I am assuming that it doesn't matter what I use where. Am I wrong in this assumption, or has anyone discovered any "best practices" for exhaust pipe connections? Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks. >> >> Jarrett Kupcinski >> Oly, '89 Westy