Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:02:22 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust studs/bolts
Comments: To: Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>

From the factory cylinders 1 and 4 used the studs and 2,3 used bolts. Why! Maybe for access to get wrenches in place or to hold one side in place while the bolts get started on the other. For ease of installing the pipes all studs makes thing easy while under the van. Also when it comes time for removal it is always easier to remove a nut from a stud even when heat is needed as the nut will expand and loosen real fast once the torch is there. The advantage of all bolts is that now you can remove a head without dropping the exhaust. Pick your poison. If using stainless consider using A4(316). Some of the A2(18-8) has tensile strength as low as 70,000 psi and in my experience can be more likely to gall. Always use a nickel based anti-seize or Loctite especially on stainless to stainless (nut and bolt) connections.

Dennis

I've got a bit of confusion about the exhaust studs.

I'm replacing the exhaust pipes on my '89 2.1L Westy, and have removed the entire exhaust system. The pipes were attached to the exhaust ports via 2 studs at each port. I removed all 8 studs, to find they were a bit mismatched: 2 x 40mm, 1 x 38mm, 1 x 36mm, 4 x 31mm.

I purchased a "hardware kit" which includes 4 x 30mm bolts and 4 x 38mm studs, and I guess it makes sense to use the bolts to replace the upper studs at each port and the new studs to replace the old lower studs. Fine.

I double check Bentley. At 15.17 only studs are shown on the for both the upper and lower connections at the exhaust ports. At 26.9, it shows bolts and studs being used to connect the exhaust, but only on the upper connections of the front right and rear left exhaust ports. On the front left and rear right exhaust ports the diagram seems to indicate that studs should be used.

Hm. I check the list archives and it seems people have used all bolts, all studs, and combinations to no reported ill effect.

I am assuming that it doesn't matter what I use where. Am I wrong in this assumption, or has anyone discovered any "best practices" for exhaust pipe connections? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jarrett Kupcinski Oly, '89 Westy