Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Feb 2012 16:06:20 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Arco Lies!!!
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>

"In LA, ARCO's refinery is in Wilmington. Chevron/Texaco's is in El Segundo, several miles away. How can it be the same gas?"

My statement earlier was based on the pipeline system East of the Rockies. If all of your gas is being trucked from the refineries then there may be a difference.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

Ah, it may come from the same oil, even the same refinery, but proprietary brand additives (as well as the Ethanol) are added at the time it is dispensed into the tanker truck before delivery to a designated station.

If BMW and Mercedes have approved of Chevron/Texaco's Techroline (Techron) for use in their autos, then that says a lot to me. When I HAVE to use an independent brand, such as the local USA Gasoline station (never ARCO of course), I usually have a bottle of Techroline to toss in as well.

Union 76 (Unocal) went 'round and 'round with the legal beagles years ago about inappropriate use of their propritary additives other brands were illegally using.

-- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835 ***********************************

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote: > Arco gas is exactly like all other gas in your area. It all comes from the > same pipeline and may have been manufactured by Arco today, Mobile tomorrow > or Conoco the next. The oil industry has been run this way since before my > Uncle retired from a Arco pipeline terminal near Buffalo NY 25 years ago. > > The only thing trucked in is the ethanol that's mixed with your gas. > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > www.stir-plate.com > www.towercooler.com > www.kegkits.com > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of > Old Volks Home > Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:56 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: [WetWesties] Arco Lies!!! > > ARCO is garbage gas anyway.  Engines run crappy after awhile unless I throw > some Techron in it.  I will only use "top tier gasoline, such as Chevron, > Union 76 or Conoco-Phillips 66.  No ARCO, Exxon or Shell for me. > > Just my opinion of course, YMMV > > -- > Jim Thompson > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" > Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012 oldvolkshome@gmail.com > http://www.oldvolkshome.com Find me on Facebook: > http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835 > *********************************** > > > On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: >> I think anyone that watches TV has seen the rather dumb commercial by Arco >> with people celebrating the fact tha Arco no longer charges 35 cents to > use >> a credit card other than theirs at their gas pumps.  Well, it's NOT TRUE!! >> The 35 cent charge is still in effect, ran in to it both times I tried to >> use and Arco station to fuel on last months trip.  So I suggest we stay >> away from Arco stations in our travels.