Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:43:59 -0800
From:         Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Brand Preferences?
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>

You don't have to tell me... my wife's brother-in-law owns one of the largest refinery maintenance and upgrade companies in Texas. He is STUPID RICH!

Cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Hargrave [mailto:thargrav@hiwaay.net] Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:03 PM To: 'Jeff'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Gas Brand Preferences?

The refineries may all be chronologically old but all have gone through continuous refit to net more gallons of gas per barrel of oil and to produce newer reformulated gasoline.

With all of the work being done to them today's refineries are hardly "old".

There is no difference in cash or credit prices in any stations I visit in Fl, AL, GA, TN, KY, IN or WI and I'm an all of these states often enough to know. I wonder if this is a Kalifornia or Left Coast thing (pun intended)?

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

Actually, there are over a hundred oil refineries in the USA with many being in the southern US. Unfortunately, all of them are quite old.

Cheers,

Jeff

Be careful to consider geographical influences. There are no Arco stations near me, in Detroit, Michigan. There are also no Chevron stations. Personally, I use almost exclusively, the gas from my local Sam's Club in all four of my vehicles. I have never had a fuel related issue from them. Their source, directly, is unknown to me, but again, there is only one refinery, in the southern U.S., that actually creates the eight-carbon based fuel we all use. It is all about the additives, and how many brokers it passes thru, before it ends up in your tank.

The difference in per-gallon price, credit vs. cash, though, does still show up around here. Some have the outrageous difference of a dime per gallon difference (!), but most are a nickel, or so. The individual station seems to be where it comes up, rather than a particular brand.  Evan Mac Donald

"...in the absence of facts, myth rushes in, the kudzu of history." -Stacy Schiff

________________________________ From: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 11:16:55 AM Subject: Gas Brand Preferences?

I see, in several responses to my posting about Arco's 35 cent surcharge on gas purchases, that virtually everyone expresses a preference for Chevron gasoline.  That includes me.  But is there any objective data to support a superiority of Chevron gas?  Curious minds wonder.