Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:35:59 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Brand Preferences?

> Fuel Supplier Average MPG # Fillups > Arco 16.90468099 2 > Chevron 15.96717905 25 > Conoco 19.40734773 2 > Ernie's Truck Stop 12.94708029 1 > Pilot Truck Stop 18.32807571 1 > Shell 15.52268857 13 > Union 76 17.63727884 7 > Unknown 15.7309149 2

My understanding of fuel brands mirrors several others mentioned here. Not only is the gas basically the same other than additives (which also may be largely similar between many brands, and have little actual impact on performance or fuel economy), but also the brand on the pump may not even be the brand coming out of the nozzle. Even as early as 15-20 years ago, franchised service station owners were permitted to buy gasoline from suppliers other than the one whose name they franchised. Gulf, for example, only stipulated that franchisees that accepted the Gulf credit card buy their gasoline from Gulf. If a Gulf dealer settled for accepting major credit cards only, they could buy their gas from the cheapest bidder and still use the Gulf name. One difference, however, may be the consistency of mid-grade gas. In many cases the mid-grade is literally a mixture of regular and premium. A recent expose here in PA claimed that in many cases the ratio of premium was insufficient to reach the claimed octane.

I suspect that the much of the MPG difference that you are attributing to brand may be better explained by sample-to-sample variation in driving conditions - headwind, tailwind, hills, average speed, number of stops, etc. If taken over a long period of time, factors such as tire pressure, tune up and overall engine running condition, average ambient temperature, and summer vs. winter blends also come into play. Any combination of those differences, to my understanding, is far more likely to impact the average MPG of a tank of gas than the brand name. Unless every thankful was used on the identical route with no traffic and no wind over a short period of time, the comparison is far from apples-to-apples.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT