Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Feb 2012 12:10:42 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: refrigerator failure, '91 VW Vanagon GL Campmobile
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

---- Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > It sounds as if you have a leak between the shutoff valve at the tank and > the appliances. Sitting for a while, the heating and cooling of gas in the > lines draws in air to the point that you need more gas for combustion. I > have to do purge the system by running the burners if I take it apart for > any reason. >

Thanks Jim. So, that means I need to pull the refrigerator and find the leak. All joints suspect, I assume. I have never smelled propane except when the stove burner was inadvertently left on once. Big no no there! But I will check for leaks, for sure. mcneely

> Jim > > On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > Well, just to update on this trivial situation (seen as trivial now): I > > had totally forgotten that when I leave both the refrigerator and the stove > > off for more than a week or so in cold to cool weather, there is an > > important trick to getting the refrigerator lit -- light the stove first, > > and let it burn for a minute or so. I think I got this tip from Brent > > Christensen's post maybe three years ago, and have found it handy a handful > > of times. Anyway, I did that this morning, and the refrigerator worked > > properly. I think that what happens is that the propane is not flowing > > enough to get fuel to the refrigerator igniter, but that the tiny amount > > that reaches the stove burner will ignite and once burning initiates more > > flow. This hypothesis is reinforced by the fact that the initial stove > > flame is very low, then grows to full size. Then I can light the > > refrigerator. Initially, the orange lamp indicating propane flow and > > current was steady, as before. After a minute with the stove burner > > burning, the lamp began to flash. > > > > I'll recheck this afternoon and see how the ignition process goes, but I > > think I don't have anything wrong, just cold propane. Last night I had > > concluded that my trip this weekend would be without a refrigerator. That > > is not a critical concern this time of year, for sure, but we are having > > exceptionally warm weather. Yesterday's high reached 67 F. We have had > > above freezing temperatures most mornings this entire year, with the lowest > > in January being just under 20 F. Our total snowfall this winter has been > > one inch. Given the forecast for the weekend (lows mid to upper thirties) > > where I am going in Arkansas, I went ahead and filled the water tank in the > > camper. If it looks to get colder, I can always drain it. There is spring > > water at the campground. I can use that for cooking and washing (usually > > do, even if I have water with me -- prefer the native water for coffee > > anyway, just a quirk I have). > > > > Thanks for your help, David > > > > mcneely > > > > ---- David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > You are going to have to pull it out. I remembered I posted this on > > samba about another guy an electronic ignition problem, that you may > > find helpful. I think the spark may be grounding. > > > > > > From http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Mandiag.pdf which is a great > > resource. > > > > > > The igniter reigniter, used on certain Dometic > > > model refrigerators, operates on 12 volt current. > > > On gas operation the igniter senses the resistance > > > through the flame between the electrode > > > and burner. When there is no flame at the > > > burner, the resistance is high and the igniter > > > begins sparking to light the burner. As soon as > > > the flame is lit, the resistance between the > > > electrode and burner drops and the igniter > > > stops sparking. The resistance is monitored by > > > the igniter, and, if for any reason the flame > > > goes out, the igniter begins sparking until the > > > burner is lit. This insures that the flame will > > > always be lit when desired. Each time the > > > igniter reigniter system sparks, a light will > > > illuminate on the lower left front corner of the > > > refrigerator. > > > If the electrode does not spark first, make sure > > > the igniter is receiving 12 volts. If the igniter is > > > receiving 12 volts and produces no spark, it > > > must be checked for operation. > > > (61) > > > Turn the refrigerator off and remove the wire > > > between the electrode and igniter. Now turn the > > > refrigerator to the gas mode. If no internal > > > clicking sound is heard the igniter is defective. > > > It is important to remove the high voltage wire > > > that goes to the electrode from the igniter when > > > you are checking the igniter for operation. The > > > high voltage wire and the electrode can be > > > shorted to ground causing the igniter reigniter > > > to think that the flame is lit, resulting in no > > > spark on gas operation. > > > (62) > > > The distance between the tip of the electrode > > > and the burner, known as the spark gap, > > > should be 3/16 of an inch. A greater distance > > > will create a slow spark causing the light to > > > blink. A lesser distance will create a fast spark > > > that may not light the burner. > > > > > > --- On Thu, 2/2/12, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> wrote: > > > > > > > > > From: Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> > > > Subject: refrigerator failure, '91 VW Vanagon GL Campmobile > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Date: Thursday, February 2, 2012, 8:16 PM > > > > > > > > > I have been smug all this time about my dometic refrigerator operating > > well, cooling effectively, and being easy to light. Well, it won't light, > > now. > > > > > > When I push the switch for propane (the propane one of the three push > > switches at the right of the refrigerator control panel) and go through all > > the proper machinations, it does not light. Another symptom is that the > > orange lamp that should flash to indicate that the propane switch is > > working does not flash. When I push the switch, the lamp just comes on and > > glows with a steady orange light. > > > > > > I am following the lighting protocol correctly. this is the first time > > I've ever had trouble with lighting the thing, and it has me exasperated. > > Usually, I run the refrigerator on A.C. for a few hours. When the box is > > good and cold, I know that the heater box is good and warm. Then I just > > open the propane valve at the tank, open the refrigerator, pump the pump a > > few times, push the propane switch, the lamp begins flashing, I make sure > > the propane valve on the control panel is turned to on, turn the thermostat > > to maximum, hold the safety button down, and pump a few times. The > > refrigerator fires up. So, if the lamp glows steadily rather than > > flashing, what does that indicate? > > > > > > When I first got the beast, I pulled the refrigerator and cleaned > > thoroughly. It really wasn't that dirty. That was three years ago. The > > refrigerator has worked great ever since, until now. It has probably sat > > for longer without being operated in a couple of recent spells (about two > > months two different times) than any time in the three years I've had it. > > Are there things that go bad in that time? > > > > > > Any help appreciated. > > > > > > mcneely > > > > -- > > David McNeely > >

-- David McNeely