Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:30:01 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Local travel while camping

Some folks tow a VW bug...I have friends....my "inspiration" to look into buying a Vanagon...who used to camp near us in Baja during winters. They had two boys, a Westie with a Mazda motor and towed a Baja Bug from PDX area to La Paz every winter. They also had a large dome tent...So the Vanagon and the tent stayed put, for the most part and the side trips were done in the Baja Bug....Their M.O. was to unhitch the Baja for the big mountain sections of the trip...seeing as they came equipped to stay for 3-4 months with surfboards, windsurfing equipment and the two boys...a big load to pull.

They had no trouble on the level, but in the mountainous country their rig was pretty "stressed" unless Karen got out and drove 'chase' in the beetle.

Right now, I am in the land of "Rolling McMansions"...some of these motorhomes around here, they have a larger footprint than my whole house at home, with multiple tip-outs, slide outs, flag poles, blinking LED light shows outside, generators galore and often towing matching toybox trailers with dueling Harleys inside, while the Wifey-pooh follow along in the Humvee...

"At either end of the social structure, there lies a Leisure Class"....anon.