Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:00:28 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: clinking or clunking noise from right rear (of 86 Vanagon)

Yes, a CV joint is a likely suspect. You can usually pull into an open parking lot and do tight circles in each direction to determine for sure what side the sound is coming from. You can get under the car and determine even better by releasing the parking brake and rotating the wheels to hear where the noise might be from, inn or outer joints.

If it is indeed the joints... I had a similar sound some years ago that plauged me for a long time. Nobody could find it. It went away when I replaced the brake shoes.

Be sure that your wheel nuts are on tight! Been there and done that too.

Jim