Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:08:52 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Checked your spare tire recently? Spare Tire Size
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

RIch brings up something here that I've wondered about. Running 16 inch rims/tires but carrying a 14 inch spare. What is the difference in diameter between the 16's and the spare? On the front I guess it wouldn't matter, but wouldn't running two different size tires on the rear cause damage tot he transaxle? There is a somewhat funny Craigslist ad running here in N. Virginia for a Chevy Astro AWD van from a Ford dealer. They were, being a dealer, asking way too much for it, but a couple of weeks ago the price dropped to $1500.00 and the ad now reads "one of our mechanics put a new tire on this van and it didn't match the other three. Apparently all wheel drive does not work well with mismatched tires and the van now smokes and won't move when in gear" The price is still way too high, and it doesn't say much about the quality of their mechanics-who doesn't know you can't mix tire sizes on AWD? Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > I'm getting ready for a roadtrip in a few weeks. Wanted to check tire > pressures and top off if required (GoWesty 16" tire & wheel package, 3 > years old now). Everything looking good at the recommended 44 psi, > maybe a pound low in pressure, except for right rear.....15 > lbs.....nail right in the middle of tread, easy to fix. Got under to > remove spare to check it....0 lbs....and it wouldn't accept air. Off > to local Discount Tire. They fixed the RR but said the spare was too > old (which it is). So bought a brand new Hancook RA08 (14" original > steel Vanagon rim) for $152 after all the fees and stuff. I really > think that in 8-10 years I'll be replacing that brand new spare again, > just the way it goes for the "insurance". > Very embarrassed to admit I hadn't checked the spare in 3 years or so; > guess the age and the high heat right behind the radiator took its > toll. Will now check at every 5000 mile tire rotation. > Got lucky in my mind; you really need 5 good tires at all times (I > knew that...). Go check yours please while it's easy to do so. > Rich > San Diego