Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:41:43 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Checked your spare tire recently? Spare Tire Size
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Don, perhaps it was on of the Continental original equipment tires. I've had a failure or two on those when even only a few years old. at the age of that tire for you .. some 26 yrs or whatever... it's good to know they can only be good for a quarter mile. I see quite a few of those on vanagons still, as a spare. That and the Michelin XZX too ..all 20 + years old.

Don't me started.. I commonly see where people get four brand new tires at a tire store.. and no one ever thinks to check the spare.. very often people would go for a new one, or a much newer used one, if the tire store would just advise them about it.

That was a pretty scary story about a tire store messing up a whole set of TPMS sensors.

if you're down south still.. it's not 'all that sunny and warm in the NW' lately.

Scott

On 2/26/2012 4:43 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > A 50mile spare...that's a joke. In my world, 50miles would get me nowhere, > and when I got there, there certainly would not have a tire I could use. > If I were an Urban Dude and rarely ventured out of town, if I normally > traveled where cell phones work, and tow truck response time was quoted, > rather than getting "Oh, maybe Jim Bob can get his rig running tomorrow.." > then I might be ok without a spare.... > I did find the spare under my 84, it was the factory original when this > van came to me. It looked new and I didn't check the date....drove on it > for about a quarter mile....till it split down the center... > > On Feb 26, 2012 3:09 PM, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans"< > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >> my 30 year old motorcycle tires irons are in my road kit. >> I break the tire down off the rim using the stock jack ....weight of the >> van does a fine job of breaking down both sides of the tire. >> I have a special trick with a hammer to get the tire fully off the rim >> when necessary. >> it's fun. >> I haven't had to do this on the side of the road in 30 yrs.. >> but I easily could. >> Don't tell anyone .. >> but sometimes I mount and balance my own vanagon tires entirely by hand. >> Most of the time I take about 8 tires and wheels to my tire store and >> it's 'mount these on these rims, throw these two tires away' etc.. >> I never let any tire shop touch any of my vehicles. >> I just let them to their sometimes hurried, sloppy work on just my rims >> and tires. >> I also tell them I am willing to pay extra for a careful nice good job, >> not a quickie job. That helps. >> Now they know me personally anyway after 8 years in my area... >> that helps get good work done for you too. >> There is one very popular NW tire chain ..I swear, they never act like >> they know me when I go there. I think they must have a policy against >> it. Four years in grim PT, Wa state ...they never once acted like they >> knew who I was in that 'only tire store' for an hour's drive to >> somewhere else . Sure glad I escaped that place ! >> >> I do like to have a full size spare . It might be hours and many miles >> before I can get to a tire store.. >> I don't want to be stuck anywhere due to lack of a spare that can go >> safety at 60mph. >> And generally ...flat tires are not all that common it seems anyway, but >> it sure is nice to be prepared. when it does happen. >> >> Scott >> >> >> On 2/26/2012 10:58 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: >>> ---- Loren Busch<starwagen@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>>> RE: Spare Tires >>>> In addition to the spare tire/wheel how many carry a tire repair in > their >>>> Vanagon? And is it new enough that the glue will even come out of the >>>> tube? I ask that because while writing this it dawned on me that the >>>> repair kit in my rig is over ten years old! Maybe time to check > it/replace >>>> it? >>>> Someone mentioned the 'little' spare tires provided on some new cars, > good >>>> to get you 50 miles or so. Well, according to a news segment on a > local TV >>>> station last week some new cars are coming with NO spare! They showed > one >>>> new car that had only a small battery powered air compressor and a tire >>>> repair (plug) kit. >>> Well, for in town, on pavement driving, which is what most do all of the > time, the small spare is probably perfectly adequate. Fact is, tires have > gotten so good, that if maintained reasonably, failure is very rare. The > last time I had to change a tire because of a failure while driving was in > 1997. I remember, because it was a Bridgestone tire that was fairly new, > and that experienced a tread separation. Had a lengthy process getting > Firestone to honor their warranty. Had to send the tire to a location in > Memphis, TN to have it evaluated. Eventually did get the new tire paid > for, damage to my car (the tread damaged the wheel well when it flew off) > paid for, and the cost of a hotel and meals for my delay. That was in > Kingsville, Texas. But it took several months of back and forth. Why do > corporations get bad names? >>> the repair kit and compressor? Well, plenty of people would be > completely incapable of managing that beside the road. A few years back > one new car was coming with a "spare" that required inflation at the time > of use. I don't remember what car it was, or how inflation was provided. >>> mcneely >>> >>> -- >>> David McNeely >>>