Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:52:04 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant vanishing
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

thanks for the link to the superior hoes clamps. I seem to do just fine with the german ones I use that have the curled up edge so the metal doesn't dig into the hose.

about a hose clamp snapping.. all I can say is I have installed 10,000 hose clamps on cars at least.. and unless one was just corroded junk anyway ..I have never seen one snap.

for sure a sealant is good on some hose nipples to prevent corrosion.

On 2/26/2012 7:32 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Constant tension clamps are being used more often as they can better deal with thermal expansion without crushing the hose or plastic fittings. If you really need screw type clamps for confidence consider these clamps from Murray, http://murraycorp.com/constant-tension-clamps.html. After having a number of standard clamps snap on my motorhome (3" hoses) I have changed all to this style. So far they work great. An inch/pound torque wrench should be used to install these. > > For those corroding aluminum fittings I coat them with a gasket sealer like Permatex aviation. Stops the corrosion and helps provide a seal. > > Dennis > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans > Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 5:55 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Coolant vanishing > > good thought. > in particular.. > where a hose is on an aluminum hose nipple.. > such as at the front of the right head.. > and there is an original spring clip .. > the corrosion that occurs on the aluminum can make it so the spring clamp does not clamp tightly enough and there can be a slow leak there. > Qute common acutally. I find lots of corrosion under the hose end where it goes on something. > > Generally, I don't use the spring hose clamps. > those where just used in production to speed up the process and lower the cost of production. > I notice in junkyards jettas and such had 'real' german screw type hose clamps up to about 1985 or so. > > > I divide 'coolant disappearing' into External Leaks, and Internal Leaks. > Very small external ones can fool ya, since there is no drip ...as mentioned. > > most vanagons I see use coolant slightly. > An empty license plate bottle is common. > Many waterboxer vanagons will use an inch a month out of that bottle.. > and while ideally a drop of coolant never 'disappears' from any car, in the real world I see vanagons using some.. > with no other symptoms at all. > > so 'it depends' .. > say a quart a month ...that's a lot of coolant to disappear .. > 'should' be able to find that leak, if external. > > Internal leaks require real repair or treatment to stall off a real repair for a while. > > a suggestion .. > every time you park your water-cooled vanagon and get out , sniff the left upper air intake grill area .. > smelling for a-frz, burning oil smells, and gasoline or diesel fuel smell. > Many engine odors naturally rise up that left air intake column when you shut off, and can provide an valuable warning. > > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > On 2/24/2012 12:24 PM, Chris S. wrote: >> Could be a slow leak that evaporates before it drips, such as a failing hose near the clamp area. BTDT. >> >> Chris. >> >> Wysłane z iPhone'a >> >> Dnia Feb 24, 2012 o godz. 12:02 Craig Cowan<phishman068@GMAIL.COM> napisał(a): >> >>> My new bus, a 90 automatic which sat for a few years seems to be makin coolant vanish. I checked it for leaks thoroughly before its commissioning and we addressed some problems. Now I find myself filing the expansion bottle behind the license plate for the second time. The system holds pressure, I don't know of any leaks, the heads have a thousand miles on them, and the heaters produce heat. The temp gauge has always seemed to stay a little low but that may just be where this one likes to hang out. >>> >>> Any suggestions on where to start? I've been out of the wbxer game for a little while and my head still thinks engines are supposed to have simple and reliable cooling systems like my zetec. >>> >>> -craig >>> '85,'90,'87 Syncro >