Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:35:36 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagons on fire
Comments: To: george jannini <georgejoann@GMAIL.COM>

there is really only one 'gotcha spot' on the fuel lines. and that is .. about 3 inches forward of the firewall fitting.. where there is an original crimp clamp where the short fuel hose from the firewall fitting is clamped onto the black plastic line coming from the fuel pump. that is 'the spot' on 2WD gasoline vans that is The Problem.

at the minimum ..cut off that crimp clamp and replace it with one or two good screw clamps. better yet.. just join the hose on the engine straight to the black plastic line ..pushing it well down over the plastic line and using one or two good screw type clamps there. Just bypass everything .. and I see no reason to run the hose though the original firewall hole and protect it there with a rubber grommet.. since there's no reason to have it go through the hole the firewall fitting was in anyway.

oddly.. I have seen No Clamp at all, where fuel lines join the fuel rail gizmo's .. and it didn't leak there. with no clamp.

and I wonder if modern hose is as good as the original stuff. ( hose comes in various grades and quality of course ) the original stuff is so well made.. you could probably tow a vanagon with a loop of it just fine. Not exaggerating either.

I do at least replace all crimp type clamps with good german screw type clamps .. and best are 'real' EFI hose clamps.. a band clamp with a phillips screw ..those are 'real' fuel injection hose clamps. the common screw type is not .. but will work. ..good german ones with curled up edges so it doesn't dig into the hose. Typical american # 4 small clamps wtih sharp edges are not recommended.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 2/24/2012 3:07 PM, george jannini wrote: > Wow, at close to 4 minutes into the video, the engine begins cranking! > > Electrical problems? We should all know better. Check/change fuel lines > and eliminate the plastic "firestarter" junction on the firewall. > > Geo/ATL >