Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:07:13 -0700
From:   Finn Runyon <finnrunyon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Stove Front Panel

Thanks all that commented on removing the stove panel (the faceplate that the knobs go through). As several suggested, and I intuited, there are three small screws along the bottom lip as well as two larger screws on the ends that must be removed. There is a grove in the panel that slips up into a lip on the stainless sink and stove unit. You have to pull out the bottom lip to clear the T moldings, and in my case rap the faceplate with a rubber mallet. 23 years of food and crud had glued the two pieces together, and that was where I was having trouble. I have taken all of the gray pieces in the bus out and are in the process of stripping them and then will prime and paint them. Go Westy had the decals to refurbish the Westfalia insignia and the monitor signage: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4351&category_id=124&category_parent_id= , http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23415&category_id=124&category_parent_id= so I hope to have it looking new once again very shortly. While I was at it I removed the Dometic fridge, cleaned out the combustion chamber if a bunch or rust, and installed a new computer cooling fan at the rear and a smaller one inside to help circulate cooling within. I had done this upgrade to my 87 several years ago and it made a huge difference.

Best, Finn 87 Westy, Pooh 89 Westy Roo