Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:06:38 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sluggish starter fix
Comments: To: "Chris S." <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

see if this helps clarify things .. there is a thing called a 'starter booster relay' .. traditional in VW's going back to the 60's or earlier.

the time to use such a device is when the signal from the key ..to the 'trigger terminal' on the starter solenoid is weak.. as in old tired wires .. as in weak igntion switch. when you wire a relay in like this .. rather than having to fire the solenoid with wires that go from battery , to the ign switch, then back to the starter .. the ign switch only has to energize a small relay .. which is about a 50th of the current it used to have to deliver to the solenoid.

AND... if the solenoid is getting fired strongly by the igntion switch ( *always* *always* connect a Remote starter Switch, a tool to your trigger teminal of the solenoid so all that circitry from the ign switch is bypassed...then see what it does. if it's the same ..it's not the ignition switch circuit. if it's better, then the ign circuit is weak .and a relay will help. Or you need a new ign switch and they are very weak and underbuilt on vanagons in general..though they do last decades sometimes. ) < re 'remote starter switch' ..I simply could not fix vanagons without one ..in my opinion anyone working on starter cranking issues is just wasting time to not have and use one. As a challenge I'll say "I wonder if people are smart enough to see the value of this tool and use it". >

< btw...same goes for working on an engine that's not behaving ..always start it from back there..it's just good to be by the engine ..saves a lot of going back and forth etc. >

now ..if it still cranks hard ...when you know it's not the ignition triggering circuit.. then you think... tired starter. tired starter bushing in the bell housing ( if waterboxer ) poor ground connection at the grnd cable at the front of the trans undersize or weak battery cables.. or poor connections. weak battery ( a small hydrometer costs about $ 3 at a FLAPS .....will immediately tell you if you have one bad cell in a battery , which is how they usually fail. ) and if the starter 'looks' 50 yrs old.. or it is an elcheapo rebuild ...those are red flags regarding the starter itself.

but always do the remote starter test first. some people even rig a wire in the engine compartment just for that - easy hook up. Heck ..if you make the wire long enough .. you can just touch it to the positive post of the alternator in an emergency , to operate the starter or test its operation.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 2/29/2012 7:56 AM, Chris S. wrote: > Someone mentioned to me there's a kit out there to take juice more directly to the starter motor to help with sluggish starting when hot. This is not a solenoid relay kit. Would you know where I can purchase this or how I can make one? > > Chris. > > Wysłane z iPhone'a