Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:00:57 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fuel economy vs vehicle speed..some numbers..
Comments: cc: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

I have a low top 84 with a westie interior and an inline Vw (93 ABA Jetta, gasoline) motor, 5sp gearbox. I've had this now for going on 4 yrs and I keep a complete record of every tank's gas mileage. Over the years I've come to know what this van drinks under various loads and speeds.

So I am preparing to return to the Northwest from the Southwest deserts, a trip of about 1400 miles, depending on what side trips and variations of route I choose. When I drive the van at 70-75mph, my gas mileage is almost 5 miles per gallon less than at 55-60. At $4.50/gallon, if I push along at the higher speed, it will cost me about $60 more to drive home....Not to mention the extra stress of trying to ride herd on a fully (overloaded) packed Vanagon. I didn't weight on my trip south, but in the past, I've weighed in at close to 5000lbs with all my tools and bikes and camping gear aboard..

I've logged, so far since around Xmas, about 3000 miles without a lick of trouble (now I've done it....jinxed myself, something will break on my trip home...grin) racing around the mountains and deserts east of San Diego and commuting to Algodones, BCS for my health care needs.

So I expect to use 56 gallons of fuel at $4.50/gallon...should cost me around $250 for fuel and if I went faster, I would likely spend about $75 ($350) more. 3yrs ago, this same trip cost me $150.

These numbers are based on ~24.5 mpg at 55 and 19.5 mpg at 70..at 80 I get nearly the same fuel economy...I do better on fuel without the load, for sure.

Just posting these numbers for general information... Don Hanson