Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:31:47 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Running cold...
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Except for masking something being wrong there is no reason or benefit to go down to an 80C (176F), thermostat. If the cooling system can’t do its job the earlier opening stat only buys some time at best. The proper stat is 87F (188F) and the "F" version from VW even has a gasketed upper valve disk to ensure there is no bypass until it starts to open. This is very important in colder climates.

As for the temp 2 sensor connector it is the same as the injectors except for color. Common with a lot of other cars. Easiest fix is to spice a new one onto the harness using sealed butt connectors.

Dennis

sounds like 2 separate issues to me. one .. it's very important it runs up to temp, cooling system wise. Naturally, it could be that it really is running too cool ( pretty common- thermostat ) .. or, the gauge is reading low, but it's really running warmly enough.

buy a temp gun, start shooting temps on your engine. If say, your t-stat housing is only 160 F ...that's much too cool. Fully warmed up ..you'd like to seen #'s there like 180 ish.

the t-stat is not that easy to deal with on the 1.9 ( I assume it's a 1.9 wbxr ) .. With luck, the t-stat cover will come off nicely from underneath.

with summer coming, I would get a new german 80 C t-stat, and put that in. The 1.9 wbxr is notorious for stuck/rusted/corrodded t-stat cover and t-stat housing bolts .. so be careful. they can turn into a mini-nightmare of busted off bolts. I have about 5 1.9 wbxr t-stat housings that are barely rebuildable, with stuck and broken bolts in them.

On the running rich.. for sure ....get the running temp up where it belongs. Then check or replace Temp Sensor II ........the two prong one on the t-stat housing. Try not to get an extra cheap one. Pay very careful attention to the connection there. That plug and those contacts can get tired or weak after all these years. This input is almost 'the most important' inut to the ecu for cold starting ...and for warm starting too actually.

I have seen them read OK cold, but bad hot .. it's always good to have a spare anyway, and they take seconds to replace.

also ...make sure your throttle switch is making contact at idle.. and that the timing isn't too advanced. I find those two adjustments out of whack commonly.

how is your oxygen sensor ? at least read the output ...if it's say .... 6 years old, it is suspect. It's an important input for fuel mileage.

you don't say which trans .. but if automatic ... in winter, in town, I have seen a 2.1 waterboxer with auto trans get 14mpg ..and it was running right too. the most I would expect with 1.9 and auto trans in winter, in town.........something like 17 mpg. if manual trans ...18 mpg in town, in the winter.

getting it to run up to temp is important, of course.

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 3/5/2012 5:02 AM, B Feddish wrote: > > Lately my 83.5 wc Westy has been been running a bit colder than normal. The normal spot for the temp needle is just to the left of the led while driving and lately it’s been about 2/3rds of the way to the LED. I’ve been running rich lately too with diminished performance and lousy gas mileage around town (14mpg) but not sure if they are related. > > Thanks, > Bryan >