Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2012 18:33:34 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: All the gears but second
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>

Hi .. glad you got it. The Comic Sans MS font is on purpose for sure. It's the only one I really like much,.

not sure what a 'meme fiend' is though.

I hoped you lubricated *everything* in the entire shift linkage nicely. I do about four areas at least ..maybe 5.

'If the parts got lubricated well enough .. they would least basically indefinitely. < not just shifter parts either > sadly ...many vanagons get very little lubrication on about 200 spots that could use it. "

I hope you have a nice trans oil in it. So many vans don't get their manual trans oil changed ...in my observation anyway.

stay cozy ! Scott www.turbovans.com

On 3/5/2012 4:54 PM, Mike South wrote: > Woooooooohooooooo! > > Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. I actually had it done > right once, then I saw how much better it fit in back, how it nestles into > place and holds itself there while you screw it in instead of just flopping > all over, and I said, "duh, I guess I better redo that". > > (But what I should have said was "I need to go check to see how this is > supposed to go on", obviously). > > So I really like the way Dennis phrased it here: > > "Not the rear where it looks like it belongs." > > Anyway, I might not be getting rubber in all four gears, but I'm definitely > getting power in all four gears now :). > > I love this list. So cool that Daryl comes on to volunteer to talk me > through it over the phone, too--always good to get another warm fuzzy about > the vendor you chose! > > Also, along with correct answers from Dennis, Daryl, and Miguel, Scott also > posted the correct answer, in comic sans--probably not on purpose but > definitely an added bonus for an internet meme fiend like myself. > > Again, a huge, huge, thank you. To all of you. > > Neil, didn't forget you, but I'm going to start a new thread on that, > because I am curious about how it's supposed to work now. That picture is > great, btw, and thanks for your input. > > Here is a coupon for free homemade bagels you can redeem any time you come > to McKinney, TX: > > +----------------+ > | free bagels | > +----------------+ > > (Yes, other list members can use this even if they didn't chime in on the > thread.) > > mike > > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Dennis Haynes<d23haynes57@hotmail.com> > wrote: >> The guide bushing plate on the transmission may be on the wrong side of > the >> mounting boss. It goes on the front (of van) of the casting. Not the rear >> where it looks like it belongs. >> >> Dennis >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> Mike South >> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 12:36 AM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: All the gears but second >> >> Hi, >> >> I have an 85 Westy, formerly AT, that I am in (what I really I really, >> dearly hope are) the final stages of converting to a manual transmission. > I >> took it for my first test drive with everything hooked up and, as I said > in >> the subject, I can get it to go into every gear but second. >> >> The front and back shift rods (by which I mean the long rods that run from >> the bottom of the lever at the front of the van back to the ball-and-cup >> thing at the back) were clamped together by the previous owner so hard > that >> there are four indentations in the rods where the corners of the clamps > have >> bitten into the rods. Because of these indentations it is relatively easy >> to get it into the position that it used to be in (since you have that >> "convenient" (I say sarcastically) "stop" point), but getting it to move >> further in or out from that point is more of a challenge. >> >> I am wondering if people can tell me how far into the back rod their front >> rod is inserted. When I look at mine from the side, I can still see the > end >> of the front rod in the slit in the back rod. I would be able to see >> daylight through there if there was daylight to see under the van, and I >> think I could fit a thin finishing nail through there, but not much else. >> >> Here is the "logic", such as it is, that I am applying to think I might be >> able to make an adjustment to the rods to get it to go into 2nd. Since >> second gear is with the lever inside the van pulled backwards, that means >> it's pulling the lever on the transmission forward, and *if* it's not >> getting into gear because it's not moving it forward enough, it could be >> helped by me shoving the front rod further into the back rod, shortening > the >> overall length, so that when it pulls forward, it pulls further forward. >> >> I would just go down there, try that, and see if it worked except that > it's >> going to be both difficult to do, and difficult to undo, because the rods >> are deformed by the aforementioned pinching, so I thought I would bounce > it >> off y'all first and see if you think it makes sense to try or would be a >> waste of time. >> >> Also One More Thing That Might Be Relevant >> >> I did that lateral adjustment thing in the bentley where you are supposed > to >> have 23mm between the ear and the guide in the front shift box (at least >> that's what I think it's showing). When I put in a socket (that was >> actually 23.4 mm or so wide) in the position shown, the left side ear was >> all the way against the box. It doesn't look like that's what they were >> going for in the picture. I'm mentioning it in case having that > adjustment >> wrong could be the issue, and also to ask others where the left ear is > when >> the right is 23mm from the guide (or if I'm interpreting that picture >> wrong). >> >> Thanks for any help you might be able to offer. >> >> I should also mention two things about the transmission itself. One, > it's a >> zero miles rebuild from AA Transaxle. This is the first time I have used >> it. Two, I did get it to go into second, once, when I was cornering I >> think. So I'm guessing that the transmission can "do it". >> >> One other thing I guess is that, since it's second, I guess I can try >> putting it in second by hand (disconnecting the ball from the cup and >> putting it into second by hand, then starting off on a hill or something > and >> see if it is actually in gear that way, to eliminate the possibility that >> there's anything wrong in the transmission itself. >> Advice on "how you know it's in second when you're shifting it by hand" >> would also be appreciated. I'll probably lie under there while someone > else >> shifts it before disconnecting just to make sure my mental picture is >> correct before trying that. Should be easy to tell if I put it in 2nd or >> 4th though when I let off the clutch, I guess. >> >> One more thing, this is also a zero miles Bostig conversion. It's > possible >> that it could be sitting in the vehicle slightly differently (like the > whole >> transmission could be pulled a little left or right) than it would with > the >> original engine. I don't necessarily have any reason for thinking this >> would be enough to matter, but I don't want to leave anything out that > could >> possibly be relevant. >> >> Thanks for any insight you guys might have on any of it. >> >> mike >>