Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2012 22:09:08 -0600
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: All the gears but second
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> Hi .. > glad you got it. > The Comic Sans MS font is on purpose for sure. It's the only one I really > like much,. > > not sure what a 'meme fiend' is though. >

Internet memes are like "idea fads" that get passed around. There's sort of like inside jokes on the net. If you search for comic sans on google and just read the summary lines you can get an idea of the "comic sans" meme--but there are much better examples out there, like "Nope, Chuck Testa" ( http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nope-chuck-testa ). Anyway, back on topic:

> > I hoped you lubricated *everything* in the entire shift linkage nicely. >

So, here's what I lubricated. The little two-piece ball thing (I asked about it earlier on the list) that the lever inside the van pivots on has a groove around its equator that I think is there specifically so you can put some grease in it. I put the same grease in there that I was using for my CV joints.

On the "ears" of the little fork at the front of the shift rod, I used T3Technique's delrin replacements, because my plastic tab things were completely gone. (I'm referring to this product: http://www.t3technique.com/accessories/shifter-guide-repair-kit/ ). The kit comes with a little tube of grease that is compatible with the Delrin that the tips are made of. I got Christopher to send me extra tubes of the grease because the shift shaft bushings I got from Terry Kay ( http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/ ) are also Delrin and I figured I could grease them with it as well. I don't know if people grease those bushings, but they have a similar groove around the equator that I thought might be for that. So both of those bushings are greased up with that grease, and the ears and guides in the shift box are also greased up well.

Then I bought a new boot for the ball-and-cup assembly in the back and greased that up well, again with the cv joint grease.

The transmission oil is brand new (as I mentioned the transmission is a zero miles rebuild). I think Daryl's instructions were "any name brand synthetic" -- yeah here it is:

Don't be afraid of the GL5 trans oils.. Any name brand synthetic GL5 75/90 > or so will be fine. 20 yrs ago, the GL4 was the only good oil, but since > then the additive packages of most all modern oils are ok for the brass > synchro's...

I don't remember what I got, but I remember recognizing the name :).

How'd I do?

mike