Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:47:11 -0500
From:         Theodore Hoekman <thoekman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Canadian Importing Vanagon Westfalia to Canada:
              insurance while in US?
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>

Wow! Seems much more complicated than when I did a Westy from Houston to Newfoundland. However that was 21 years ago, and think border regulations have become more stringent in the meantime. I live very close to the Michigan border now and have done a lot of cross-border shopping for building materials for my in progress house. I have seen as I was passing through customs a couple guys bringing in "classic" cars from the US sweating bullets as the Canadian officials were "reading them the regs". The guys I dealt with long ago where much friendlier and went out of their way to help me get the paperwork done. In those days the Canadian border guards did not wear sidearms, a condition which only changed very recently a few years after 911. I have the feeling that packing heat also seems to make them more pugnacious, or maybe just the current hyper security consciousness.

My journey was also a classic of things going wrong with the 82 diesel , first a thrown rod, followed by a seemingly competent mechanic who had things disintegrate again on the test drive, and then a salvage crank from an automatic jetta which had no hole for the pilot bearing. Found that out in Boston when the front seal on the transmission went out ruining the clutch disc, and more money. My friends back in NL were referring to the Odyssey in relation to my tale of woe.

Ted

Theodore Hoekman thoekman@gmail.com 19 York St. Newbury, ON N0L 1Z0 (519)719-0342 Blog:http://Tedspassivesolarhouse.wordpress.com