Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:45:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Canadian Importing Vanagon Westfalia to Canada: insurance
              while in US?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Neil, I don't think it's that big a deal. .......some hoops to jump through for the Candadian officials mainly.

I sold an 83 Westy to a guy in Canada from here in Southern Oregon. the van needed a few things ...naturally. He had his buddy fly in .. do a few repairs, and take off for Vancouver BC.

you asked about insurance... whenever I call up my car insurance company and ask them to add a vehicle to my policy .. they have never asked where the vehicle is, or where I plan to drive it. They ask if my current address is the same ...etc.. but .. doesn't seem like they care. A vehicle does not even have to be yours to insure it.....not in the US anyway, not with private ( non-gov ) insurance companies. there are people in Hawaii that rent vanagon campers.. they just tell the clients from the mainland the VIN of the camper they'll be using, so they can insure it on their own policy, not the policy of the people renting it.

Stop by on your way north.... Medford/Ashland, Rogue Valley , Southern Oregon, just a couple minutes off I-5. Wait until Southern Oregon to fill up .. it can be as much as 40 cents more a gallon just over the Ca border. ( but buy your likker down there for the wide open store hours, buy it here for no sales tax. )

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 3/10/2012 7:23 AM, neil n wrote: > Thanks for the p-mails folks! > > I think I could have worded my email better. > > Anyone that's purchased a Vanagon Westy (or Vanagon tin top) in the US, > camped in it, then imported to Canada, please feel free to share your > experiences. > > I tend to think of this as a little too risky (mechanical failures keeping > my in US, and away from next gig!) so input is welcome. > > TIA > > Neil. > > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM, neil n<musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> My far fetched plan would be to finish work in US, purchase a Westy in the >> US (likely CA), camp in it for a week or so, drive it (import it) home to >> Canada. >> >> > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >