Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:02:17 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: 81 Air cooled... Engine conversion options??
Comments: To: "Mr.mds" <mds_1976@HOTMAIL.COM>

here you go ... all Diesel Vanagon parts ....( btw, 83 with solid-end engine coversion bars and larger rubber mounts are singificantly better than the one-year-only 82 style ..and if you fabricate and weld ..you can make 83 type bars out of 82 ones. )

DV Bell Housing, including cross shaft and clutch slave Bracket A full set of engine and starter mounting bolts ......seldom included in a 'kit'. flywheel. pressure plate and clutch disc diesel starter diesel oil pan ..including filler tube . ( there are two styles ..the 82 type is quite weak and has a few failure mode ... ......used only that one year. The 83 type with 'overhead dipstick' is far better )

a suitable oil pump. the right way is buy a new DV oil pump that has the longer gears in it over the stock DV oil pump. If you end up getting a 1.9 diesel engine ....you can modify the metal oil pump pick-up tube on it to match the pan .. some people just slap on a stock DV aluminum oil pump pick-up tube ..but that's not really right as it contains the oil pressure relief valve ( for the older smaller 1.6 diesel engine ) and it is also the end plate for the gears i the pump ... ..best deal is a brand new oil pump.. Sometimes called the 'turbo oil pump for diesel vanagon )

Engine cradle bars ..see note at top. Rubber mounts to go with them. Left and right Cast Aluminum Engine brackets...and mounting bolts. Exhaust brackets ..the left one on the left aluminum engine mounting bracket.. .........and the right one that bolts to the pan. ( there are many and often hokey ways to make an exhaust system for an inline four vanagon engine. All I ever do, about the last 20 times, is just reproduce the stock DV exhaust layout and mounting system. There really is some good engineering in it, stock from VW ..and that works just excellently. I use the stock DV small rubber exh mounts ...takes 3 .

I think that's it ..

the main areas are bell housing/clutch/starter exhaust brackets engine mounting system oil pan/oil pump.. ...( including an oil filler tube and dipstick arrangement. ( for engines with power steering that interferes with and oil filler tube at the aft end of the oil pan ....I just block off the oil filler tube hole..and fill through the valve cover .. since that is well angled over ..to do that elegantly I fab an extension at the valve cover's oil cap ...about 4 inches high so it's easy to add oil there. You have to open the engine cover to add oil then of course...but it's good to see the engine now and then anyway. )

one of these days I'll find time to start on my 2.0 liter inline for 16 valve ! ...at 50 degrees ala DV layout.

what fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com

On 3/10/2012 7:32 AM, Mr.mds wrote: > Begin forwarded message: > >> From: Mr.mds<mds_1976@hotmail.com> >> Date: 10 March, 2012 10:20:55 EST >> To: Daniel O Stevens<dosteven@syr.edu> >> Subject: Re: 81 Air cooled... Engine conversion options?? >> >> Hello all! >> Thanks for all the replys and information. >> >> I am thinking of going water cooled, going to stay with Vw power plant ( just haven't decided gas or diesel. >> Also I do all my own work so labour is not a cost factor. >> >> So I guess now I need to put a list together of all the diesel van parts that I'm going to require... Any help on acquiring them would be appreciated! >> >> Thanks again! >> >> MS >>