Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:01:45 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spark plug gap-Tire air!

From my records, filling race tires with nitrogen reduced the inflated pressure *increase* by almost 4psi on my racecar. Doesn't sound very significant, but it was. With atmospheric compressed air, I needed to start track sessions about 7psi below what I wanted to see during a race...with nitrogen, I could start out just 3psi below my target tire pressures.

My car ran on Goodyear racing slicks, usually. I found a source for NASCAR race-tire takeoffs. I used 17" x 12.5" (tread width) rubber (equivalent to 350/35 or so) that were inflated to about 22-28psi when up to racing temperatures.

We kept very careful records of both tire pressures and tire tread temperatures...an important racetrack proceedure. It was useful to pull into the pit lane during practice sessions and get readings of the tire pressure and also 3 temperature readings across the tread width of each tire....this would give us an idea of which part of which tire was supplying the most grip (traction) and allow us (me, I had no real "crew") to adjust the suspension for best performance.

My tires took a couple of laps (on a ~2 min./lap track) at race speeds to "come up to temperature" which was typically around 220-300f at the tires surface, as measured with the tire probe tool. An over-inflated tire ended up with tread readings very high in the center and cooler on the edges...an under-inflated tire heated up very quickly,then got too hot and very slippery. Of course this is an oversimplification.

The general idea of using nitrogen to inflate the tires was to be able to begin each race with tires that were much closer to the optimum tire pressure right from the starting flag without ending up with overinflated tires after a few laps, or having to run 'under-inflated' for a few laps till the temperatures and pressures came up. The actual numbers I used, from my race log books, show that when filling with just ambient air, I was inflating my tires to a cold pressure of about 7psi less than they ended up after attaining race temperatures and pressures. When I used Nitrogen to fill the tires, I could fill them to just 3lbs under my optimum pressure...

This meant, when racing, that the first few laps when the field was all bunched-up and there were large gains to be made over multiple cars that having the best available traction (properly inflated tires) was a huge advantage.

During 'test-days' when we would sometimes use old tires inflated with just air, I would often bleed off around 7psi of pressure after a few laps....come in to the pit lane and get out with my gauge and find my tires very over-inflated, with my temperature probe, the center of the tread was much too hot (compared to the shoulders of the tread)

I used nitrogen obtained from a welding supply in those 'welders cylinders'. One cylinder (about 4' tall) would last me perhaps 20-30 full tire changes...I used a simple pressure regulating valve on the gas 'bottle' and a normal hose with a tire chuck that snapped on with a tool air fitting. For those who don't have room in the garage for a real air compressor, a nitrogen bottle and a hose might be a good alternative to going to the gas station and trying to get proper inflation. You can trade the empty cylinders for full. Inexpensive and convenient.... Some of the wealthy lazy guys used to power their impact tools from nitrogen bottles even.

What's all this have to do with Vanagon's tires? Probably not too much, since racing a Vanagon is unlikely. The phenomenon of air pressure changing as the tires heat up though, that is certainly very real! If you are truly obsessive (anal?) about having everything *just right* with your vanagon....nitrogen filled tires are something you could do. If you need a convenient source of inflating, a compressed cylinder of nitrogen could be kept around for your tire needs.

Don Hanson