Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:10:29 -0400
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Air cooled... Engine conversion options??
Comments: To: JM060356@aol.com

I'm on the fence on this one.

At 14 or 15 YO, I rebuilt a 36 HP Bug engine. I had some guidance but did most of the work. For various reasons it died early. Granted it's the only rebuild I've ever done, but from my POV, doing a rebuild that will last more than a 100K miles takes experience and skills and/or money. Like even if the OP gets a buddy to rebuild it or direct him, machine work costs.

Depending on ones experience level, comparing the miles seen out of their DIY rebuild to a lower mileage water cooled engine swap, I'd suggest going with water cooled. Especially if they went the DV parts route.

Here's a useful survey of various VW I4 swaps. (thank you Alistair!) This may help with decisions. IIRC there's mention of swap costs here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/bilbo/survey.html What is the parts cost for air cooled rebuild parts?

As per Robert Keezer's comments, if the OP's air cooled heat exchange box needs to be resealed time required to pull dash is moot. On that note I'd strongly recommend the OP install a used WBX heater box for the swap. OTOH, if one really wanted to be thrifty (depending on climate) they could g/w only installing a rear heater. IMO though, that's not a great idea. Re: cutting the lower rad hole. For me the hardest part was the first cut. (much like a person installing a Westy pop top on a tin top feels). Even if the hole isn't square it doesn't matter IMO. The grill will cover any "sins". ..... well mostly: (you can kind of see how the mismatched paint is visible! http://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/FrontGrill.jpg )

Neil.