Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2012 00:32:41 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      How lifters work and Two turns to set valves?
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

At 09:10 PM 3/7/2012, HotelWestfalia wrote: >But how do I know, the valves open enough or they close >fully? Somehow it is foggy for me why to do two turns, or any for >that matter.

A hydraulic lifter has a piston in a very closely fitted cylinder. It is meant to have the space under the piston always full of oil. If it isn't, the lifter is soft and will not open its valve properly until it gets the air worked out.

There's a weak spring under the piston, and if nothing stops it the spring pulls oil in through a check valve as it extends the piston fairly rapidly. However the only way to retract the piston is by applying strong steady pressure which forces oil very slowly out through the gap between piston and cylinder.

Now think about the valve train. Camshaft pushes on the lifters, lifters push on the pushrods, pushrods push on the rocker arms which reverse the direction of motion and push on the valve stems, with strong resistance from the valve springs.

The springs push back and are strong enough to slowly force the lifter piston back until the valve is closed. At this point the spring has no more travel so it can't push the piston back any farther. You adjust the rocker arm adjusters so that this point happens somewhere in the middle of the piston's possible travel.

At that point, in theory, you're finished. The valves will maintain correct adjustment at all temperatures, operating and wear conditions for the life of the engine. Any time a clearance opens up in the valve train, the spring under the piston quickly extends it a little more, taking up the slack. *The amount that it can do this is the amount of the "preload" that you cranked in when you set things up originally. When that amount gets used up the lifter cannot extend itself any farther.*

Any time the clearance becomes too tight and doesn't allow the valve to close fully, the valve spring shoves the piston slowly back into its bore until clearance is correct again. This action occurs as the engine warms up but also all the time, because any time a valve is opened its spring will be trying to force the piston into its bore, thus opening up the clearances. It can't do it much because the valve doesn't stay open long, but it does a little. This tiny clearance is taken up by the extending spring, and round and round we go. *If the piston bottoms out (too much "preload" then it can't allow the valve to close entirely.*

As the valve train wears the parts become shorter and the correct position of the lifter piston gradually extends until the piston is fully extended. At that point it can no longer perform its function and it is now operating like an expensive and very slightly faulty solid lifter.

The trouble we have with our WBX lifters is that (effectively) the valve springs aren't strong enough to keep them properly (and quickly enough) compressed, so they tend to not let the valves fully seat. That wrecks your compression.

So you set the Type 4 lifters to .006 clearance cold, right? As the engine warms up that clearance decreases to somewhere near zero. Every n thousand miles you set them again because the clearances open up from wear and the valves start tapping.

You can do the same thing with the hydraulic lifter. Treat it like a solid and give it .006 cold, and readjust on a similar schedule to the Type 4 engines.

Or set it up touching, depending on the lifter to compress that .006 as the engine warms. You still have to adjust it as the clearances open from wear.

Or at some reduced "preload" - but since the extending spring is not very strong, I frankly doubt if it makes any practical difference other than reducing the total amount of wear that the lifter can compensate for. I don't know that for certain, though.

I would love to see someone take an engine that was losing compression because of the lifters and put stronger valve springs in it. I would *really* like to know what effect that has. But in the mean time, treating them like solid lifters works, at the expense of having to...treat them like solid lifters.

Yours, David