Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:54:22 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Driving a Vanagon in Belize (long but good)
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

One of the list members asked me to share my experiences with our latest trip to Belize. Since it is very much Vanagon related I thought I would save some time and just post it here. Enjoy!

Driving a Vanagon across Belize!

As many of you know, my wife and I had a wonderful trip to Belize in Central America last winter. In fact we enjoyed it so much that we took another one this winter from January 9th to the 19th of 2012! We stayed in the Placencia area again which is the southern shore town of Belize and became beach bums. In this area of Belize there is many, many miles of beach along the shore and a lot of it still doesn’t have homes or resorts along it. The Belizean government has wisely designated the first 60 feet from the beach inland as public land. So if you wanted to you could walk the entire beach from Maya Beach area all the way down to Placencia Village at the end and no one could legally stop you. I think it is 15 miles of beach!

Of course the excuse for coming down to Belize again was to work on a customer/friend’s 87 Wolfsburg Vanagon. The van wasn’t even running last year if you will remember and I had to fly down with a bunch of parts, really just guessing at what could possibly be wrong. It wound up being several things but the most messed up thing was the gas tank. It was full of really fine rust particles that were passing through the fuel filter and clogging up the injectors. When I was here last year we priced out just the shipping on getting a new tank down to Belize and the shipping alone was something like $900! I wanted to get the van up and running while we were there last year but even paying that much for shipping the tank wouldn’t have arrived until I was back at home in the US. So I wound up waiting until I got home, packing up the new gas tank and all of the other parts we would need, and shipping them down slow boat to Belize. My friend Thorsten Kahl (a transplanted German) who runs a VW shop in Spanish Lookout area of Belize took the new parts and brought the van back to life! The customer was overjoyed! He came down back in April of last year and got to drive the van while on vacation. However the Air Conditioning wasn’t working and in a place like Belize where the humidity is a living thing that embraces you the second you step off of the airplane, you really need AC. This year, that was our mission. Get the AC up and running, put some leak detector dye in the system in case there was a leak somewhere, and install a new set of front shocks. So we flew down all the way to Placencia this time instead of renting a car in Belize City and driving down. We got to ride on a “puddle jumper” from the international airport to the Placencia Air Port which has a really, really short runway and is terminated on both ends by water (ocean on one end and lagoon on the other). We flew Tropic Air and beside some wind shear taking off rocking the tail back and forth a bit, we had a smooth flight. Again we were staying at The Placencia Resort and Residences. The van owner also owns a residence in this resort which is a three story mansion. I think it has 6 bedrooms and three and a half baths. With just my wife and I there, it gets down right creepy at night especially when the icemaker in the basement comes on and makes noises that sounds like someone is skulking around the house. It loves to make ice about 3am too just to really freak you out! The van was parked inside a garage that had marble floors! And you know the funny part. Even though this engine was rebuilt by the evil GEX, it doesn’t leak any oil whatsoever! Isn’t that shocking? So I had the owner’s squawk list for the van and what we would do was get up and 6am every morning and try to watch the sunrise (was cloudy every day though so that didn’t really work out). Then we would eat breakfast, I would slip into my jumper and do some work on the van for about an hour. Laying on a marble floor under a Vanagon is surreal experience believe me. Then we would go over to the resort and use the internet ($50 per week!), to stay in touch with everyone at home plus do orders, etc. for the business. That would usually only take an hour. Now it is 9:30-10am and we would do whatever we wanted. Maybe we would go to the beach. Maybe we would drive the van down to the village and get some stuff. Maybe we would go to a cool place we found last year called “The Shak” which is right at the end of the road in Placencia Village and also right on the beach. It was a very relaxing vacation. I am usually one of those people that gets restless if I don’t have anything to do, but after the first three days, I finally let that go and really started to enjoy our time. I told you folks I saw another Vanagon there last year sitting at the end of the road in Placencia Village and it looked like it hadn’t moved in a while. This year, someone must have fixed it because I saw it a good bit away from where it was last year in Seine Bight Village. That was good to see that it wasn’t just sitting there rotting. Finally we got down to our last few days and I had to take the van to get the AC work done. I had shipped the tools we were going to need to my friend Thorsten Kahl’s shop ahead of time so that he would have everything when I came down. Thorsten lives about two and a half hours away in a place called Spanish Lookout in the Cayo district. This is where a large group of Mennonites live and it is considered to be one of the best places in Belize to get mechanical work done. I know it sounds weird but where we were there really were no mechanic shops. There were a couple of guys who would work out of their house and were “Bush” mechanics. That means they can do minor repairs or bailing wire repairs to get you down the road a piece but you really wouldn’t want them to do something major. For that you have to get your vehicle to Spanish Lookout or Belmopan area. We drove the van there and it is always interesting. There is a bridge that is being built but for now there is a “temporary” bridge across the river which is just some planks that look like they could collapse at any moment. Then there are the old cement bridges that we had to go over which were crumbling and bumpy. Then there was a place on the Hummingbird Highway where a piece of the road was washed away by a recent rain and if you went off the road you would be going down the side of a mountain! The road itself has to be driven on to appreciate. I think the only thing I can compare it to is to the test track that manufactures use to test cars to destruction so they can determine the build quality of their vehicles. It isn’t that bad of a road but if you drive on it you vehicle is going to vibrate quite a bit. In the van the front doors were rattling and I had never heard a Vanagon make that noise before. When we got where we were going I checked out the doors to see if there was something wrong with the latches but there wasn’t and everything was normal tightness. It is just the road itself that makes things vibrate that normally do not. Then you have the “Speed Humps” every ¼ mile in towns maybe every five to ten miles on the highway. I hate these things with a passion but there is nothing you can do but live with them. They are everywhere and sometimes they are painted so you can see them or they have signs and sometimes not. They are about a 18” high but about four feet wide and they go all the way across the road. If you don’t slow down to 15 mph and you hit one you are going to seriously damage something in your front end. No fun believe me! We got to Thorsten’s shop and we were supposed to replace the front shocks and do the AC work. The front shocks needed replacing as you can tell because the road had vibrated the lower shock bolt out on the driver’s side! I had never seen this happen before. I found the problem when we first arrived and Thorsten sourced a bolt and nut so we were good to go. New shocks installed we moved on to the AC. I replaced the drier and several o-rings, pulled a vacuum on the system for about 30 mins and then charged it up with R134a. The system held and worked great! We also put in the dye. Hopefully it will hold. We should know about that soon. On the way back we made a big mistake. We stayed and hung out with our friend Thorsten too long and got about half way back when it got dark. The roads in Belize are OK in the day when you can see and avoid the speed humps, etc. At night was Vanagon sad headlights (square), it was dangerous. I have poor night vision anyway so my wife told me to pull over so she could drive. The lines on the road are faded to nothing and the road itself is the same color as the dirt on either side of it. So it isn’t super obvious when you come to a turn and we were traveling over mountain roads. I was happy to have her drive. Then you come upon these black shapes in the road. They could be an 18 wheeler that has no rear lights! They could be a farmer bringing his harvest of oranges back to his barn with all of the workers sitting on top of the oranges in the trailer that he is pulling behind his tractor. It could be people walking along the side of the road, or riding bikes (at night). You have to be aware of all of these things. I think it is best to avoid driving at night in Belize whenever possible. We got back to the house safely and were ready to enjoy our last couple of days before we left. The van was running excellent the whole trip in spite of having itself vibrated on the test track. I was really proud of it! I guess that is my report on this year’s trip to Belize. We are already planning our next one and I guess we are going to try to take our kids down this time if we can. We just enjoy the country so much and the people we want to share it with our family. If you ever get a chance to go to Belize definitely do so. If you need any pointers I would be glad to share what little I know with you.

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

On 3/12/2012 11:58 PM, Robert Stewart wrote: > Hey Ken, > > Just wanted to ask how your vacation was? > > Hope you and the family are well. > > Regards, > Robert > Bloomingburg NY > > On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:49 AM, Ken Wilford wrote: > >> Check out my new video about Vanagon Fuel Line Replacement on You Tube. >> If you have an suggestions please let me know. >> >> http://youtu.be/IEWk7iAnl7U >> >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >