Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:45:38 -0700
From:         Brent Weide <brent.weide@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Using the "extra" LEDs in the instrument cluster

Harry: I've repurposed my oxygen sensor light to act as a check engine light. And i used the lower right location (just to the right of the ox2 light) to place a new led (there was no bulb there before) which acts as an emergency brake indicator (the steering wheel blocks my view of the stock one).

Here's a pic of the blue foil showing the repurposed ox2 bulb and the newly inserted e brake bulb. http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/06RunWiresToDashAftermarketGauges/01ECUAndEmergencyBrakeLightLED.JPG

Heres a pic of the finished product: http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/06RunWiresToDashAftermarketGauges/06InstrumentClusterAndPillarGauges.JPG

Repurposing the oxy light is fairly straight forward. You do have to do some modification of the wires that feed the instrument panel though. I've got a diagram of what needs to go where here... http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/20ECULight/SubaruVanagonECULightWiring.pdf I fed my ecu light from my vanagons subuaru engine ecu. Its important to note that the way i've wired it works well with the suby ecu because the feed coming from the subaru ecu for the light is a ground. If your ecu check engine light sends out a power feed, you'll not be able to use my instructions. Here's a written set of instructions that support the pdf above... http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/20ECULight/UsingTheHiPressureOilWireForECUMilLedFeed.txt

As to putting a new bulb in one of the dummy spots..... Inserting a new bulb in the lower right position is not for the weak of heart. I did it only because i don't know any better. You have to poke a hole down through the blue foil - avoiding any traces that thankfully are easy to do in the lower right position. Then, you tie into the exposed legs of the led with wire feeds that go off to whatever you have that will send a power and ground feed to it.

Hope that helps a bit. Brent

-- Brent Weide Portland, Oregon www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/