Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:43:28 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire pressure '86 Westy
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

> No when you're are being blown around is the whole vehicle swinging over or > just the front? When you recover do you find yourself over correcting? Did > you do anything with the shocks/springs to go with those big tires? > > > > > > DynaPro AS model on a 2WD. Auto. > > Actually, the sway is my #1 beef. At times, it was bad enough with wind > gusts across the Texas flatlands that I almost had to give up on driving > for > the day. > > So other than looking for a lower tire which I'll do when I go for > replacements, are there other ideas such as a more robust swaybar? Of > course, I assume that I may trade less sway for less forgiveness on rough > roads. > > Art >

Combination of components, Art.

I live where it is *really* windy. Very turbulent, often with gusts into the 60-80mph range, totally un-predictable for direction, intensity and frequency. The Columbia River Gorge, where Windsurfers often describe the winds as "Nuclear!" I drive my tin top daily and have been 'refining' it's behavior for a few years now, with pretty satisfactory results. Vanagons are still semi-"high profile" vehicles and will always 'sail around' some on the highway in very windy conditions, but mine is now no longer an often time 'white knuckle' vehicle...

Shocks are very important...Good ones inhibit what you called 'sway'....Fresh ones that are appropriate for a Vanagon. I use inexpensive Monroes from a NAPA store rather than fancy expensive Konis or whatever...."Fresh" seemed to be key for helping my van contend with our nasty swirling Gorge gusts. I think mine were under $75 for the four shocks...they're two yrs old now and I may replace them again just because...they were inexpensive. My original shocks (that came when I got the van)...they were expensive ones, but probably old and worn out...the shock swap was probably the biggest thing for improving directional stability, drive-ability....no wallowing around....

Tires: Get some with the proper sidewall construction. Nuff has been said on the list about tire brands....But having properly built tires, matched on both ends of your Vanagon....makes a world of difference. I spent a few years trying to "make do" with improperly matched tires...It worked, I lived....but I am now a believer in the "list wisdom" about the right tires....

Steering components in good condition...I found my steering rack bushings were sloppy....allowing the rack to move around a little and diminish my steering wheel input....slow it down, because as I turned the steering wheel, the steering rack first moved, taking up the slop in the worn rubber rack bushings, and then the wheels actually began turning. Small corrections that we make unconsciously as we drive, those were ineffective.......The worn rack bushings made for 'herding cats' type of driving experience....I replaced my rack bushings with some polyurethane after market ones. Tightened up the steering. You will feel the road irregularities a bit more on rough surface, but nothing unacceptable.

Load your Van with Center of Gravity in mind when you can. Heavy stuff down low, etc. Westies are more topheavy to begin with. Inertia figures into 'sway' more than most people realize..

"handling" oveall, that is influenced by how all the various suspension components work as a "system". All the components inter-react in concert. Any change to any single component of your suspension, that influences how the whole 'system' functions. You might change tires, but if your shocks are crap...it won't help as much as it should. Visa-Versa...great shocks with 'slushy' passenger car tires= crummy handling....Put four 5 gallon gas cans or water jugs in your rooftop luggage carrier? you will wallow....put them on the floor and you will 'stabilize'.....

Keep at it or give it to someone who knows Vanagon handling, along with a big wad of cash if you can't be botherd, and you will eventually get acceptable handling...Despite what Scott says, you won't ever get "sports car handling" (grin!)...but mine is now no longer 'scary' in our swirling Nuclear Gorge winds or when running the interstates amongst the Big Rigs and spring winds... Don Hanson