Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:39:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Caliper Done?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

if it's a two piston fixed caliper .. it is common for the outer pistons to get very sticky eventually. If the caliper is old.. say 15 yrs .. a rebuilt one would be the nice right thing, or good used.

it's 'brutal' a little....sometimes while the caliper is still in place you can pry back the piston with a bar or big screw driver.. and of course.. can't tilt it too much.

for those that are really creative and don't mind messing with tired parts.. if one can push the piston back.. then flush new BF into it .. then have someone push on the pedal to move the piston out a little.. then pry it back.. 'exercise' the pistons that way ..do that several times.

and of course, if it's that bad.. a good used one or a rebuilt is the right thing to do.

On 3/17/2012 3:48 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > A cheap break (I just did that to see what it felt like to type it > wrong, so many people seem to enjoy it) spreader from your flaps will > put pressure on the piston inline with the cylinder... i.e. it pushed > straight in. If you push the piston at any angle at all, it can jam in > the cylinder. > > It's good insurance and easy to use. > > Jim > > On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Bryan Feddish > <uprightbassghost@hotmail.com> wrote: >> My brakes have been squealing over the last year when I was stopping and lately they were squealing when I was driving. I went to put on new pads today and the pad on the outer side of the driver side was lowest and I cannot squeeze that piston back in no matter what I do. It this thing toast? I just put these calipers on two years ago. >> >> Thanks, >> Bryan