Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:22:16 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Catalytic Converter???? Anyone go without it???
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott, here in Oklahomastan, there are no emissions inspections, and no safety inspections of any kind. We do have safety requirements that may be enforced. But that is after the fact, so if a person has an accident, and a contributing factor was a safety matter out of compliance, say bald tires, the driver can be fined. I think maybe a driver can be stopped for a safety violation. If you want to see some real junkers being driven, go over to Little Dixie in SE Oklahoma. Even the sheriff's departments drive 15 year old Pontiacs.

mcneely

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > hi, > there is for example, a 2.1 waterboxer engine with 10 to 1 compression > ratio and no cat that is used in markets where not cat is required.. > it all boils down to how polluted a given area is .. > if they don't have a smog issue .. > they are generally lax about having smog laws and emissions standards. > > when I moved to the Olympic Peninsula of Western Washington.. > I was rather appalled...there are ZERO smog checks > and NO vehicle inspections EVER... > Totally 3rd world. > And in a small town there ...it's 4 miles across town, the nearest > freeway is over an hour away .. > many people there didn't even recognize when their old car was s > seriously unsafe . Most people there never drive over 45 or so ..and > that's only if they go out of town. Some real junkers there. I've seen > a car there with fuel leaking out of it and no one would ever care. > > now if there could just be Reasonable smog checks. > > On 3/18/2012 11:17 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > > Could be a lot of differences. Carburetor instead of fuel injection, > > ignition timing, Valve timing, O2 sensor, compression ratios, even gear > > ratios. All these items can have an effect on emissions especially the > > production of NOx. Many other countries simply allow more pollution > > especially back then. > > > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > > Alistair Bell > > Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:20 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Catalytic Converter???? Anyone go without it??? > > > > same engine was used in other countries sans cat. I wonder what the > > engineering differences were? Any ideas Dave? > > > > alistair > > > > > > On 2012-03-18, at 9:41 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > >> Marc, whether your state or local jurisdiction has an emission > >> inspection requirement or not, the converter is required for legal > >> operation of your vehicle. Further, the vehicle is engineered to > >> operate properly with a functional converter installed. Sure, folks > >> run without it. Some folks kill others for money, too. That doesn't > >> make it legal or right. mcneely > >> > >> ---- marc rose<mrose1028@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >>> I went to change out my worn out and rusted muffler on my 90 Carat > > "Rosie" > >>> yesterday and noticed that the converter was all busted up and the > >>> ceramic is all but gone. I live in an area that has no enforced > >>> emission tests or anything like that. My question is can i can safely > >>> run without the convertor. I was going to just bust out the rest of > >>> the ceramic and reinstall but was not sure how it would affect the > >>> overall operation of the engine. > >>> > >>> Any thoughts?? > >>> > >>> Thanks > >>> > >>> Marc > >> -- > >> David McNeely

-- David McNeely