Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:44:53 -0400
From:         Mark Dearing <VWBrain@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fun question for Friday
Comments: To: uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM

I AM THINK HE WAS THINKING HE NEEDED TO GET ONE OF THEM and just take off traveling later mark d In a message dated 3/16/2012 8:29:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

OK, here’s one. Let me give a little background first. South Eastern, PA, has always had a heavy German population so there is no surprise that have always been allot of VW’s around here. If cars didn’t rust the roads would look like CA. Anyway, up to about 15 years ago, there were 4, count' ‘ em 4, places that specialized in VW’s within a short bike distance from where I live. There is a shop down the street that was owned by an AMAZING German mechanic who owned a small shop next to his house. The shop is still open and run by his son. The dad has since retired. Before he retired they worked together for a little while. To show the difference between the son and father, my wife brought here ‘92 Jetta there about 12 years ago with a bumper piece that was falling off and the son said he’ have to order a $100 part to fix it and the dad walked out and said “why don’t you drill a hole here and stick a 39 cent bolt through it?”. There is still one old timer that can still work on my van when I occasionally bring it there but it is way $$$$. They basically charge by the half day or full day.

Last summer I was driving by the house/shop in the early morning. The dad was out there getting the newspaper. He glanced up and saw my Vanagon then, realizing what vehicle he had just caught a glimpse of, he turned and looked at it again for a few seconds and then turned to go back in the house.

Here’s the question. What was going through his head when he saw my van? I ’d like to think it was some underlying passion for old VW’s that he missed but I fear his thoughts may have been “Glad I don’t have to work on that piece of crap anymore.”

Thoughts?

Bryan