Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2012 05:56:08 -0700
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual Tranny Oil

Yeah, that's the problem with Swepco......finding it locally.  Nobody in all of northeast Florida sells the Swepco.  Even the local "premier" Porsche dealer here, actually famous for their race team (Brumos), doesn't use Swepco. I have to buy it online.  Paragon in Cali seems to have the best price for the 201 at $47.95 plus much shipping to the east coast. Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) ________________________________ From: Tom Buese <tantonbz@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 8:16 AM Subject: Re: Manual Tranny Oil Have you changed your tranny oil in the 1000 miles since the rebuild?  If not, maybe now is the time to get off Redline? Daryl told moi to change my oil after 1000 miles+- of his rebuild, which I did from cheap Kendall dino to Swepco 201 after consulting w/  "gears" & Daryl.  Had to order the Swepco online unless you wanna get from some snooty Porsche racing place, but Detlef seems to likee. That said, tranny needs 5 qts, Swepco came in 1 gal jugs, so needed 2 gals @ $60/ea to top off tranny. As usual, YMMV, Mr. BZ-oiloiloil, better than tirestirestires? On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Gene P <olgreywoof@gmail.com> wrote: > Richard Koerner wrote: > > "Redline no longer recommends their products for hypoid gears, making it > completely unsuitable for Vanagon/T3 transaxles..." > > "The fact that Redline changed their formulation on the MT-90 synthetic > oil was recently confirmed..." > > I envy your timing Richard (coming up 2 years this summer) but I just > changed mine in October.  If this 'reformulation' is confirmed, does anyone > know when it occurred?  And does this mean change to something else next > time, or drain the stuff now because I'm harming my trans? > > Rich, Daryl, anyone? > > Thanks, > GeneP > 87 Hardhat Wolf (stock) > 23K on rebuilt trans, maybe 1K on MT-90 > -- Tom Buese