Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:23:51 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual Tranny Oil

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Yeah, that's the problem with Swepco......finding it locally. Nobody in > all of northeast Florida > sells the Swepco. Even the local "premier" Porsche dealer here, actually > famous for their race team > (Brumos), doesn't use Swepco. > > I have to buy it online. Paragon in Cali seems to have the best price for > the 201 at $47.95 plus much > shipping to the east coast. > > Anthony > '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) > > You can hear and feel the difference between that MT-90 and Swepco. The Redline is like water, very thin, and not 'slick' at all, between your fingers. You can hear your gears turning back there with the Redline, the Swepco is noticeably quieter in the tranny. The Redline shifts very easily even when it is sub-zero temperature while the Swepco, you will get a little resistance until your transmission internals warm up.....

When I am climbing a long mountain pass or blasting up a sustained grade on the interstate with a heavy load aboard my 5sp van, I think, sometimes, about all the heat and stress being accumulated in my gears...and I don't begrudge the slightly more expensive Swepco...

I've ordered from Paragon and Pegassus Racing....Oh, getting the Swepco into the tranny? Takes a bit, if it is cold where you are filling....I warm up the stuff before I try to fill the tranny.