Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:57:27 -0800
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tire pressure '86 Westy
Comments: cc: Art <awa0330@GMAIL.COM>

Art <awa0330@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Behind a big truck, I get >significant sway/shake in the front from right to left and left to right. >You can feel it in the steering wheel.

This is normal if you are within the turbulent air zone. Increase your following distance, as an added benefit you will be able to dodge road debris they kick up, not to mention windshield-damaging rocks.

>In wind, perhaps the prevailing winds are mostly in one direction, but it feels like it wants to pull left

Also normal. I live in an area with strong winds and frequently come in from a trip with one arm more tired than the other. Unless you are saying it pulls left with the wind coming from the left?

As for the rest of it, it is very likely you have some issues that need tending. But even with everything as it should be, you are driving a vehicle shaped like a box kite that reacts to wind and you'll need to learn it's limitations. Not trying to be snarky here, just frank. There are times that perhaps you may want to consider just parking until the winds die down, after all, you have all the comforts of home with you and can just kick back and make a nice cuppa choice beverage. Here in Nevada I am always amazed when so many of the Class A motorhome crowd continues to drive until they suffer damage, either by being overturned, or more frequently after a big blow, lose one of those expensive roll-out awnings. Always one or two of those along the highway the day after! Free canvas!

Gary