Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:09:10 -0400
From:         B Feddish <uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fun question for Friday
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

This guy was probably from the same batch. In the 90's I did not use him (though he was probably the best) because when I moved to the area I started going to the first place I found. He was Hungarian, the next guy down the road was Czeck, there were several German owned shops, etc. and they were all the same age and all worked at YBH VW at one time in the 60's 70's before opening their own shops. Turned out my mechanic hated most of them. Probably not for good reason though, he was always angry at something! hahahaha In his later days he didn’t even hide the whiskey bottle on his desk that he emptied during the day.

Bryan

-----Original Message----- From: J Stewart Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 1:22 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Fun question for Friday

A lot of the VW mechanics at dealers in the 50's/60's/70's were "imported" from Germany. In the summer of '73 when I was 16 I worked with a German woman whose husband was one of these imported mechanics, having come to the USA in 1962 to work at a dealership. He had just retired and was selling vacuum cleaners or something. Knowing my love of VW's, she invited me to come over one day to talk to her husband. When I arrived he was somewhat friendly but when he saw I was driving a '73 Super Beetle he mumbled something and stomped off. She apologized and said he had quit being a mechanic because he didn't like the "newer" VWs, that they were no fun to work on!!! My '73 was too "modern" for him! Now, just a few years ago I was sitting on a bench in Myrtle Beach SC waiting for my wife and daughter when I noticed a man in his 70's staring at me. After a while he came over to talk to me, the reason for his staring was my tattoo on my left arm (Grateful Dead "Steal Your Face" logo with the VW logo) He too had been a VW mechanic for many years and we talked of the good old days when VW made good, simple cars that were affordable. He did go on to tell me he still had friends who worked for VW, and they told him there is a new company out there thats just like VW was-it's called Hyundai. So I think this guy was just thinking of the "good old days"! Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > OK, here’s one. Let me give a little background first. South Eastern, > PA, has always had a heavy German population so there is no surprise > that have always been allot of VW’s around here. If cars didn’t rust > the roads would look like CA. Anyway, up to about 15 years ago, there > were 4, count' ‘em 4, places that > Here’s the question. What was going through his head when he saw my > van? I’d like to think it was some underlying passion for old VW’s > that he missed but I fear his thoughts may have been “Glad I don’t > have to work on that piece of crap anymore.” > Thoughts? > Bryan