Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:53:51 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire size
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>

re that 'turned my 2.1 into a dog on any mild grade.'...

I like larger rear tires in 2WD ... I can't say I've actually run a 27 X 8.50 with a 2WD 2.1 vanagon .. but I run a 215/65 R15 in two of my 2WD vanagons...

I measure the unloaded diameter at 26 inches.. and in either my 87 Wolfsburg running a 1.9 wbxr on Digifant EFI, or my 85 Adventurewagon running a 2.1 on Dijiget EFI .. both of those vans do just fine on any mild grade.

I do spend hours getting them to run as perfectly as they can though, for what they are.

I know a guy with a 2.1 wbxr syncro 7 passenger .. runs 27 X 8.50's all around... and they 'look' very just right for a 14 ...he seems happy with his power.

YMMV as they say !

On 3/16/2012 12:41 AM, Bob Stevens wrote: > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans< > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> "27.8" diameter" >> sounds suspiciously like to the tire size 27 X 8.50 R14 LT .. >> which is a GREAT 14 inch vanagon tire size. >> > Actually, that tire size is 26.8" diameter, which my 2.1 handled OK, but > not the 27.8 > Michelin's I had later. Turned the van into a dog on any mild grades, > especially > with any wind. > > bob >