Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Mar 2012 04:38:10 -0700
From:         Dake Collins <wuwe423@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Food for the traveler from the tv
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

A couple months back one of our list members (don't remember who) posted a link to <http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/> I was in S. Carolina at the time and looking for a place to spend the night; I tried out ultimatecampgrounds and found just the right place to spend the night. I paid the nominal fee and tried to download it to my GPS, I had trouble making it work properly (my fault) I emailed <http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/> for help, Ted got back to immediately and stuck with me until I got it working right - works great now. I highly recommend this GPS download. Dake WuWei - '84 Westy ________________________________ From: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 11:41 AM Subject: Re: Food for the traveler from the tv On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:56 AM, george jannini <georgejoann@gmail.com>wrote: > > My GPS is loaded with nearly 500,000 custom waypoints > Find them here:  www.poifactory.com > > We're also fans of of roadfood.com > Both good links but with some reservations.  I subscribed to Roadfood several years ago and have found that their emphasis is in the East and South.  Very sparse coverage for those of us that travel primarily in the Western states. I also have a bunch of stuff from POI Factory in my GPS and loaded into Streets & Trips.  There can be some problems with the POI files you find there.  I've found them to be incomplete in many areas.  My main interest has been in finding/listing campgrounds and the various (and fragmented) POI files for campgrounds on POI Factory vary in quality from really great and good coverage to "how could they have missed that?"  So don't think that a particular file from there is going to be the total answer, it probably isn't. If you use Streets & Trips Google 'POI megafile' and you will find a bunch of Pushpin files for S&T that list everything you can imagine, 80% of which will be of little use to Vanagon drivers/campers but interesting anyway. Here is one giant file of campgrounds that in checking seems to be very complete: <http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/>YMMV I paid the nominal fee the guy is getting and it's worth it. Since it comes as an Excel file it can be used in virtually any GPS or program like Streets & Trips.  Some manipulation is needed to separate different types of campgrounds but not hard to do. BTW just checked, I have 14 POI files from POI Factory that I have loaded into S&T.  There were several others that I dumped after looking at them. > > >