Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:55:53 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake bleeding problems
Comments: To: Bryan Feddish <uprightbassghost@hotmail.com>

Just one pump? Did the new rear cylinders come with the spring inside?

Check out the write up at Gowesty http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2392&category_id=&category_parent_id= >>These cylinders have an expansion spring in them, unlike other "same as original" copies out there. We learned the HARD WAY why that damn little spring is so important! Without the little spring the pistons collapse, causing you to have to pump the pedal once before the brakes ACTUALLY WORK. NO GOOD! <<

I believe Dennis Haynes also mentions getting the cylinders with the spring....

Rob becida@comcast.net

At 3/26/2012 04:10 PM, Bryan Feddish wrote: >Everything in the brake/clutch system has been been replaced over >the last 3 years, master, clutch, slave, calipers, all rear brake >components, etc. It always needed that extra pump. > >Bryan > > > >-----Original Message----- From: Rob >Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 6:57 PM >To: Bryan Feddish ; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Brake bleeding problems > >At 3/26/2012 01:05 PM, Bryan Feddish wrote: >>OK. I did 2 rounds of the "yell at your wife" method of brake bleeding, Got >>allot of air out. The brakes feel like they do whenever I have gotten the >>van back from any of my mechanics in the past. That meaning the pedal goes >>down as far as it always has and a little pumping the brakes firms them up a >>bit. > >I've often thought that that ONE extra pump to 'firm them up' was >caused by having rear slave cylinders with out the springs in them. >I've been planning on getting new cyl for the rear to see if those >change things. > >Rob >becida@comcast.net