Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:20:34 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Filter
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

---- J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> wrote: > Yup, until they get as big as Amazon, which I heard this week bought a robotics company that makes robots that pull orders in warehouses for shipping. Robots can't call in sick! 'Course they don't rent apartments, buy houses and other goods, etc. etc. nor do they shop online at Amazon! Jeff Stewart

Well, their makers do. My preference is to walk into a store, find what I want or inquire if it is not evident, and complete the transaction face to face, preferably with a person who lives in my community and whom I might know in another context. But, oh well, we don't live there any more, do we? mcneely

----- Original Message ----- > > Well, since online vendors have to "handle" the order regardless of > > where it goes, my assumption would be that the price reflects that and > > all other overhead, except the actual shipping cost, which would be > > added. But clearly, not all online sellers operate that way. mcneely > > ---- Trevor Reid <trevorawake@gmail.com> wrote: > > > It's the 'handling' charge in 'shipping and handling' however what > > > mostly happens is when I go to a shipping website like Canada Post > > > for a quote - inevitably their quote will be off... Sometimes as > > > much as $5 on a $20 shipment...!!! > > > This is quite frustrating and I've spoke with the counter people who > > > then give me the deer in headlights look... > > > Honestly, for us anyways, we don't try to markup our shipping at > > > all, it just sometimes accidentally happens, but to be honest it's > > > more than 50%!of the time we are eating a portion of those shipping > > > costs! > > > > > > Sent from my iPhone > > > Cheri > > > www.theskylightguy.com > > > > > > On 2012-03-22, at 7:08 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> wrote: > > > > > > > ---- Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > >>> > > > >>> but I have to pay (more than actual) shipping costs. mcneely > > > >>> > > > >>> Dave, > > > >> > > > >> How is that possible? Do you tip the vendors you buy from? > > > > > > > > No Bob. but they charge shipping to my bill. when I get the > > > > package, the shipping charge shown on the package is always less > > > > then I paid for shipping. If I ask for a refund, I am told that > > > > there is no guarantee that the shipping amount I am charged will > > > > match the amount they actually pay, and that they are justified in > > > > charging me more because it costs them time and effort to pull the > > > > parts, package and address them, and ship. In other words, they > > > > are marking up the shipping to cover other costs and a profit. > > > > > > > > Oh well. mcneely > > > >> > > > >> bob > > > > > > > > -- > > > > David McNeely > > -- > > David McNeely

-- David McNeely