Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:35:11 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Filter
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

AS I recall from way back - in addition to the filter material and it's construction - one of the big issues on oil filters for the Vanagons is that on most oil filters the anti-drainback valve in them is not adequate for the Wasserboxer engine - and that contributes to the fairly rapid drain-down of oil in the engines oil galleries and quickly leading to the infamous Wasserboxer valve lifter/clatter syndrome - i.e., flat hydraulic lifter.

Crappy filters you don't want, for sure. But along with a filter of good construction and material - you also want a good anti-drainback valve. The Mahle/Mann filters at least have that.

Of note is the fact that I can no longer find Mobil One 15W50 anywhere any more except in my FLAPS - and it's pricey there. Wally World down here use to carry it and at a cheap price - but no more. Don't carry it at all. Only available thru FLAPS at a higher price. The one saving grace is that it goes on sale often - Buy one gallon and get a free Mobil One oil filter. I might switch at some point to the Mobil One filter, but for now - as fate would have it - through the good graces of a former list member and a little effort on my part - I scored enough Mann oil filters to last me several years.

John Rodgers

On 3/23/2012 5:11 PM, Max Wellhouse wrote: > According to Dennis Haynes' research, the Mobil 1 filter for the > Vanagon is vastly superior to the Mahle/Mann/ Knecht filters. I quit > buying them some time ago. Anymore the shipping costs more than the > parts you're buying..... > > YMMV > > DM&FS > > At 06:03 PM 3/22/2012, george jannini wrote: >> stick in an orange oil filter and quit worrying. >> >> Geo/ATL >