Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:34:33 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: re. Trip Report, Baja Whales 2012,part 1, long, boring

As much as I enjoy visiting there I can't think of many ways Baja is ahead of the US. But Baja is not a country, it is just 2 isolated states of the large country of Mexico. The vagaries of immigration laws vary from country to country but most countries take measures to keep those they consider undesirable from becoming long term residents. I did not personally find it hard to get my Mexican FM-3 but I guess if you failed the background check they would turn you down or want you to jump through more hoops. Tourists don't need one so not Vanagon content anyway.

There used to be some old abandoned bays and split window buses that were highway landmarks in the middle of nowhere for many years. They and the other old abandoned cars were cleaned up some years ago when scrap metal prices shot up and a clean highways program was initiated. You can still see a dead bus or two and a few dead Vanagons, all parked on private property and some have clearly been there a while. Most of these are in tourist areas so I presume they got left behind when some tourist had serious troubles that couldn't be fixed. Other than a famous VW shop in LaPaz you would be unlikely to find competent Vanagon service much south of the border. About 10 years ago the VW dealer in LaPaz turned me away but did send me to that independent shop who had the part I needed. I have recently heard of other Vanagons and Syncros who were helped there too, with parts and service.

The Mexican watercooled bay window buses were once a common sight used for commercial delivery vehicles but I haven't seen one in Baja for a few years at least. There were once so many that some must still be around somewhere. Vanagons have never been a common sight other than visiting tourists. We ran into a few during this last trip, mostly near Mulege. A few years ago I started seeing some with Baja plates in the border areas. Lots of vehicles that fail Calif smog end up headed south and I have been to San Diego auto auctions where such vehicles were offered for sale only to bidders who would be removing them from the US.

Mark

Don Hanson wrote: > > Baja is in many ways ahead of the US. They have a very stict > immigration system and they enforce their labor laws. You will NOT see > 'guest workers' everywhere in Baja. Gringos are not allowed to work in > that country without extensive Immirgrtion documentation. ......... > You can not work on your neighbor's house, unless you have FM-3 > immigration status..and that is quite difficult to get. ......... > > It is a great place for a Vanagon, for sure. I've been going to Baja > since forever in various vans, starting with my 1957 Splittie. Yes, the > countryside has radically changed in the northern part until you pass Bahia > San Quintin....We never stop in that northern section to stay over night in > the Vans....be like camping in a really rough part of any American city... > > If you get off Baja route 1 and explore, especially below about Guerro > Negro....you will find the locals quite friendly usually and the side road > and back roads? a bit 'free-form'....out in the desert when there is room, > when one track gets all washboard....they simply drive on a different > track, so there may be 10 choices of which fork....but they always seem to > end up at the same spot, eventually. For a while, there were at least 3 > burned-out Vanagons along the roadside in various spots along the main > highway. Mexican mechanics know how to work on them...Have good tires when > you head south... >