Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:45:53 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure Switch ....gone
Comments: To: Paul Rogers <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>

Hi, thanks for saying what year and engine you have !!

a 1.9 only has one oil pressure switch .. it's under the left head, between the push rod tubes. You have to remove the tin piece below it to see it. It has one wire ..brown I believe.. and you should be able to see it coming up from below at the forward side of the left cyl head.. by the bell housing area.

there is I believe .. a plug ....well, some pressed in oil gallery plugs .. but well below the Dist and hard to access. I just looked at several of my 1.9 engine blocks ( have rebuildable cores for sale btw ) and there is a threaded hole as your describe ..but

it doesn't lead to anything.

also ..be sure you are looking at 1.9 and not 2.1 in Bentley. there ARE two oil pressure switches on the 2.1 .. but the one below the Dist is way down there next to the crank pulley and not easy to access.

you can tell if your block is a 1.9 by 'DH' in the engine # at the base of the oil breather tower. It could be either actually .. if the engine has been swapped out .. either long block will fit in either system. I swap 'em back and forth all the time. Even like my Digifant 87 Wolfsburg with the slightly smoother 1.9 in it . And I really like my 85 Adventurewagon with 2.1 long block and intake and exhaust systems..but still running Digijet.

I assume you checked your oil level.

I just went through a round of heebie-geebies with a not-proper;y running in Digijet system.. It was matter of somewhat AFM, Distributor ( hall sender ) and vacuum lines near the Dist that affect Vacuum advance and fuel pressure. Got those 3 straightened out and she was fine for the next 700 miles back home.

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 3/30/2012 9:27 AM, Paul Rogers wrote: > Yesterday I took my Vanagon, which my GF has somehow tricked me into letting her use as her daily driver, for a drive over the Altamont Pass to do an errand. Well all was fine and dandy on the way up but on the downhill side, actually on the flat rsection after the downhill, I noticed a power loss. Fortunately I was near an off ramp and was able to make it to the parking lot of a Home Depot. After looking around the engine compartment I noticed a hole with a little pool of oil fairly close to the distributor and under the pressure regulator. So I got out my Bentley and soon came to the realization that there should be a pressure regulator there. Let me go back a bit, the idiot light did go on earlier, but it had flickered a little in the past and I was hoping that maybe a gremlin was at fault. Wrong assumption on my part. I was able to get a 10mm bolt and neoprene washer from the HD and drove > back home. The thing is I can't find the wire or where it should be attached. Oh yea my Vanagon is a 1985 with a stock 1.9L in the engine compartment. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated, except the obvious one about me being an idiot. At least I caught it before the oil all ran out. > TIA, > Paul in Tracy, CA > > Sent from my iPlace