Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:35:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Doka Look Alike (friday reply)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

re He swapped in the tranny and then went..."Whoops, I got 4 gears backwards and 1 frontwards".... because he'd used a sedan driveline from the junkyard.. He was quite embarrassed by that mistake but he eventually got it right...and if I recall, there was a really good swell, so we didn't much mind waiting around while he did it over again.

Those split case transaxles are famous for being able to flip the ring gear. so if you do need to put a Bug Transalxe ( without gear reduction boxes ) into a Bus .. where you have them.. you can split the whole thing apart and install the ring gear on the other side. works like a champ.

I find it uh ..'interesting' ..and 'too german' that that whole assembly ..in the Split window Bus .. the trans, swing axles, and gear reduction boxes is built by stacking parts from the middle out.

so to split the cases .. first you get the reduction gear boxes off by splitting those, so they'll come off the axles. then get the alxes off.. ( you could work in from just one side though I think ) then split the cases.

we've come a long way with our Vanagoos since then.............., gotta say !

On 3/30/2012 6:22 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > He swapped in the tranny and then went..."Whoops, I got 4 gears > backwards and 1 frontwards".... because he'd used a sedan driveline > from the junkyard.. He was quite embarrassed by that mistake but he > eventually got it right...and if I recall, there was a really good > swell, so we didn't much mind waiting around while he did it over again.