Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:17:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure Switch ....gone
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Magically I've found that when they do act up and require fiddling with after exiting the freeway.. seldom is it raining or snowing .. Besides, that's why VW made the rear hatch so large.. makes a fine roof for working on them if it is raining.

At least these fine machines are low enough tech that we can work on them. There's not much in the way of owner repairs that can be done to very modern vehicles. I suppose one can change say, a water pump without hooking up diagnostic electronics .. but then maybe not, since many modern cars tangle the water pump up with the timing belt. One way or another..working on say 2010 and later cars involves 'lot more' in the way of exotic technology .

I have a Bentley manual that says if you want to change the brake fluid on a late Jetta with ABS brakes.. you'll be connecting an electronic interface to the car to make it fully happy.

Nothin' like that on our vanagons !

On 3/31/2012 10:18 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > ---- Paul<wognacious@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >> It's seems that there is always some kind of adventure right around the >> corner when you own one of these beauties. I think that's part of the >> attraction or allure for me. It's kinda like when you were a kid waking up >> on Christmas morning wondering what was under the >> tree > Well, that's definitely not the attraction for me. If I could get an excellent, reliable camper of the same size, similar sized engine, same or better road clearance, and with the same camping outfit, but a modern vehicle that I could simply maintain without constant concerns, maybe 40K, I'd have it in a flash. Oh, and no skylight. I've always considered that just a goofy, not very useful thing on any vehicle. Maybe for rhino watching with a bigger opening. But if I could get what I want, then no more Vanagon. Who wants to be trying to trouble shoot a failure in a downpour, or on the side of a freeway? Of course, I try to keep it up to snuff, to minimize that, and I must say I've never had it happen. But .......... . and I really don't like to be always fixing something. I want to get out an enjoy where I want to be. > > Good luck with yours, mcneely >