Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:25:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 Westy coolant questions
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

LOL.. re "

you should find a mechanic that needs the work and knows something about Vanagons"

No ! that's backwards .. you should find a mechanic/technician that does not need the work because he is so good and so busy !!

there is a famous line too .. 'If you want something done, find a busy person to do it.'

that's about producing results and all that. the implication being that those who do............ actually do do.

I won't go into it much here.. but what I see constantly if pretty poor work done .. I totally accept that from amatuuers working on their own van ...no problem. But work by professionals.. they they charge for that people pay for in good faith .. that sometimes missing the mark wildly.....totally not acceptible. and see a lot of INcompetence. Sadly, quite a lot.

"reluctant Vanagon Expert" - that's an oxymoron.

but then his loss is your gain.

this is what I told my hip surgeon.. I said I see bad workmanship all the time..and I wanted someone to do their humanly best possible work on me. and don't think they're are not sloppy surgeons, because there are a few .

when I do have someone do something for me on a car ... like a junkyard I bought an SVX Subaru engine from , with only 19K miles on them.. I told them about 20 times ( they took their time as I did not have a buyer yet for the engine anyway ) .. it has to be ALL the parts.. and None of them Broken ...I even invested 80 bucks in lunch for all the yard guys that work there.. and by golly ..it worked.. but if I hadn't said anything ..they likely would have done what almost all junkyards do ..they hack the parts out of the car, break some, and loose some. Don't just trust that someone .. say a tire shop will automatically do good work . I don't know what goes on in their minds.........looking at some of the work they turn out .. I tell them I am willing to pay extra for careful good work, not fast sloppy work. I have mounted and dismounted and balanced hundreds of tires on a tire machine and been around tire shops.. it is a tradtion in tire shops to be able to change tires on wheels really fast... then that causes something like a piece of rubber to get ripped off the inner edge..then that gets left between rim and new tire and it leaks and I have to bring it back in a day or two .. somehow .. heck ....tell them to pretend it is their daughters car and do the best work they know how to do., 'cause so much of it ain't.

shoot..said I wasn't going to say too much !!! lol. just want to see people get what they pay for is all ! And stay safe. scott www.turbovans.coms