Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:27:21 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: '86 Westy coolant questions
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

road haus has a list of vanagon mechanics, good and bad (with recommendations and commentary). It has helped me. In fact, it helped me find the mechanic I use here at home, and it helped me on the road. http://www.roadhaus.com. the list will be linked. mcneely

---- Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Karen Doherty > <freshwindbrightsky@gmail.com>wrote: > > > Hi all, I'm new to the list but so happy to find y'all! > > > > I've had my Westy almost a year. Two days ago, in start/stop traffic on the > > highway in 80 degree temp, the temp needle rose and eventually the red > > light came on. > > I took it to the one recommended mechanic in town, who used to own an '87 > > Syncro. He seemed less than excited about working on it, and went on about > > how difficult they are to work on and that's why he sold his blah blah blah > > but yeah go ahead and bring it in I'll take a look. > > {snipped} > > Any thoughts on this would be most welcome and appreciated! Some have > > suggested bubble of air in the system. I have no idea how much this repair > > should cost. > > > > Karen > > > > I would find another mechanic, first off. It sounds like this fellow, he > is not a guy you want working on your vanagon. Someone on here will guide > you to a more enthusiastic Vanagon-savvy shop, probably. > > There are a number of possible causes for dropping coolant level and > overheating. Since you state you aren't mechanical, you should find a > mechanic that needs the work and knows something about Vanagons, but you > don't need one with an attitude like the one you mention. .A guy like > that, he might just fix it up "Good enough", charge you big bucks and send > you out the door with a half-a** repair that will blow up something half > way to your destination....and if you call him on it, he'll just > say..."See, I told you Vanagons suck, that is why I won't work on em...blah > blah blah.." and you will have an on-going problem with that guy..the > reluctant Vanagon Expert who took your money and didn't do a good > job...Listen to him when he says he's reluctant and sold his own because he > didn't like working on them.... > Don Hanson

-- David McNeely